Interesting Development, breed ideas?

haleyc36

Hatching
Mar 20, 2016
Corderoy is 3 weeks old, and shes taking on some interesting colors. As a chick she was brown and fluffy, i assumed americauna. The potential parents are rhode island red hens, blue americauna hens, an americauna rooster, and a white rooster with buff splashing. As he/she has gotten older, she started turning white with a partridge-type mottling and some buff splashing.

Also, any thoughts on gender?

She definatly the daughter of the White splashed rooster I would say, you can see just a little bit of the buff splashing, but also I think she may be the daughter of one of the blue americaunas due to the slightly blueish hue in her splashing. As to gender, I'm going to bet she is a she. I have no real evidence to back this up other then the fact that if she were a rooster I think she would have a more developed comb and possibly feathers. There is no real way to tell unless you can sex and that is still an educated guess at best. But there you have my 2 cents, a female white/blue/buff splash americauna hen

For what its worth, all of my Easter Eggers that feather in with that splotchy black on white pattern end up being cockerels, so you might want to keep an eye on that.

Chicken genetics can be a crazy thing, and genes can combine in weird ways, especially if you don't know exactly what the adult birds could potentially be hiding. That chick is pretty heavily bearded, so I'd assume at least one of the parents was an Ameracauana (are yours real Ams, or EEs?). But, I'm not seeing any green or slate legs, so maybe that buffish roo is the daddy. Can you post a picture of the possible parents?

Thanks guys! Im not enteriely sure if the oarents are easter eggers or americaunas, my class hatched them. The parents were chicks hatched a couple years ago but they brought in pictures for us to guess what our chicks will look like

Back
Top Bottom