Interesting hybrids: if they hatch!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blue in a shoe, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Blue in a shoe

Blue in a shoe Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my naked neck hens is broody. She was fertilized by my GLW roo. If her chicks hatch, does anyone have an idea of what my chicks will look like?

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    What color was the hen?

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah it depends on what color the hen is. Very broadly, they often show some sort of black spangled with or without areas of semi laced patterning like half moons. If she's black, the girls would look more or less like black sex links and the roos would be mostly black and maybe show a slight hint of spangling on the red areas on saddle/wings as they mature.

Do expect at least half of the chicks to have rose combs.. they may look similar or very different from your roo.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree it depends on the color of the hen, for color of offspring. The bird in front was a glw hen under basically a black mixed breed rooster. The bird in back was a slw under a barred male. You can see the incomplete lacing on the red male, you'll probably have something like that but the base color will vary.

[​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I believe the naked neck gene is dominant, so most/all of the chicks should have nacked necks. I'm not sure about their color, though.

6. Blue in a shoe

The hen is dark brown, with black spots and a single comb

7. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Do you have a picture? Is she partridge?

8. Blue in a shoe

I don't have a picture yet. She is not partridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by