Interesting take on processing chickens (no graphic pics)

cjstanman

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Just north of Raleigh
I helped a friend of mine process some chickens this weekend. She's expanding her operation and has a rapidly growing number of customers who are devoutly religious and are looking for grain-fed (no pork products) chickens. They actually processed their own chickens and showed us their method, which is very much like this video referenced in another thread:

If you're not interested in the chicken skin, this is definitely the way to go. I've done it both ways - skinning a chicken vs. scalding/plucking, and skinning is much, much quicker. It is a little tricky around the wings but the video shows pretty well how to handle it. Two men (one did most of the work, the other assisted) did 10 chickens in about 2 hours this way, start to finish.

They also don't use a cone - they merely pin the wings back, lay the bird on the ground, kneel on the wings and legs and quickly cut the artery, then gently hold the bird to prevent any flopping around. They believe the bird bleeds out quicker and more thoroughly this way and I have to admit, they were right.

I found it quick, humane and efficient, all things considered.

On a business note, when the men noticed how healthy her chickens were with very little fat and lots of good meat, they doubled their order. They initially had asked for 5, then increased it to 7, and finally ended up with 10 - plus a dozen eggs!

Saw this vid, I've been thinking of skinning for our personal chickens, but for other people they may want the skin. Does he have people who want skin on only?? Do they freeze just as good when skinless?

Quote:
Ok, "kneeling", is being on your knees. Kneeling on something, is having your weight, on your knees, on that something. I just can't imagine that kneeling on a birds wings and legs would be very nice for the bird. I bet it would be pretty painful. And wouldn't the weight of a person smoosh the chicken's wings and legs, break the bones? Maybe the description isn't clear. I haven't yet watched the vid, I'm on dial-up and it takes a long time to download videos, but I will look later. As described, I can't see how this would be humane.

Not that I'll be kneeling on anything, chicken or anything else. My knees are not what they used to be.

You're right - my description wasn't clear. They were not kneeling with full grown-man body weight on the chicken - no bones were broken. I guess it would be more accurate to say they were "pinning" the wings and legs down, using their knees. It was not harsh and I didn't witness any extraordinary force exerted.

We did two batches of meaties last year..my husband uses a very similar method..not sure exactly how he handles the wings, but he does skin them, hangs them on hooks from twine wrapped around the legs to bleed out. They drain into a plastic barrel cut lengthwise. Each batch had 48 and they were done in two sessions each.(24 in about 4 hrs). He had two helpers.

Quote:
That's good, because even the weight of a fairly small child pressed down onto a chickens wings and legs could be pretty bad. I can't picture how this would work though. How do you position yourself to hold down a bird by the wings, with your knees, and not put your weight on it? Seems like you'd have to be able to balance squatting on your toes, or something. So this is a move only for those who are in pretty good physical condition, or at least without knee, foot, or ankle issues.

If you get a chance, maybe you could post a photo of somebody holding abird in this position. I'd like to see how they do it. I'm eaten up with curiosity.

I just hang mine upside down, at a comfortable working height, (no dropping to my knees to cut the neck) and let them bleed out. They flap some, but hanging like that they don't hit anything.

Back
Top Bottom