Interesting thing my vet told us tonight about dogs and allergies.

Our golden was having chronic ear infections and itchy paws so we did the blood allergy test. Rosie is allergic to alder and cottonwood pollen, grasses, and most of all human dander--US!!!!

My vet was laughing so hard she could barely breathe (we have a long history of weird issues with our other dog's (an aussie) health).

Ah well. There were some worries about foods too, so we did switch her over to sweet potato duck food and that seems to keep things mostly in control. We started with science diet, but as a shop owner told me once, "You can find a better food, but you can't pay more for it." So after a bit we switched to the Dick Van Patten variety. I think they also do a salmon/sweet potato which I might try.

We also had really good results with an ear drop called zymox otic--but this is not for the yeast infection.

Good luck!

Quote:
Then why do the veterinary dermatologists not recommend it. I've seen two of them and neither one recommended blood tests, they both said that skin testing was the only way to go. And allergies is mostly what they do. I'll have to see if there are studies comparing the two tests, I'm curious.

I know many many people that have put thier dogs on a raw food diet and have had miraculous results in terms of health, thrift, hair coat, stamina etc. My dog never really had problems but with the raw diet just seems to have more energy and for sure less gas. Eggs for the hair coat.

b'hamPeeps :

Our golden was having chronic ear infections and itchy paws so we did the blood allergy test. Rosie is allergic to alder and cottonwood pollen, grasses, and most of all human dander--US!!!!

My vet was laughing so hard she could barely breathe (we have a long history of weird issues with our other dog's (an aussie) health).

Ah well. There were some worries about foods too, so we did switch her over to sweet potato duck food and that seems to keep things mostly in control. We started with science diet, but as a shop owner told me once, "You can find a better food, but you can't pay more for it." So after a bit we switched to the Dick Van Patten variety. I think they also do a salmon/sweet potato which I might try.

We also had really good results with an ear drop called zymox otic--but this is not for the yeast infection.

Good luck!

lol.png
Human dander! Who woulda thought! So, how do you remove that allergen?
hmm.png

Quote:
Then why do the veterinary dermatologists not recommend it. I've seen two of them and neither one recommended blood tests, they both said that skin testing was the only way to go. And allergies is mostly what they do. I'll have to see if there are studies comparing the two tests, I'm curious.

Perhaps because they cannot do the blood testing themselves in-house but they CAN do the skin tests? Sad to say, my own personal experience has been that several vets I have used in the past will not recommend anything THEY personally cannot do. I had a mare with a phycomycosis that needed to be surgically excised. The 1st vet did not have his own table so he recommended treating it topically. The second opinion vet said it needed to be excised but he did not have a table and recommended the state vet school. By accident I found out about a 3rd vet who did have a table. He did the surgery, saving me the cost of hauling that mare all that way and leaving her for days--easily $1500. When I asked why didn't Drs X and Y just send me to him, his answer was that they did not like that he would not rent them his table so that they could do the surgery themselves, so they either did not recommend surgery or sent people all the way to Tallahassee. He thought they were afraid their clients would switch to him once they realized he was better equipped.

It often isn't about what is best for the animal as much as it is about protecting their own business interests. Sad, huh?

Rusty

no offense but I think your vet is an idiot..MOST allergies in pets is due to grains in the food

Agreed!

As for the person who said they were feeding their dog raw but it was allergic to grains....if you are feeding raw it shouldn't have any grains.

Taste of the Wild: I am using it for my cats. I would prefer Innova EVO but I can't afford it. TOTW is the only non-soy non-corn food I can get on a regular basis and not have to sell a kidney.​

Our TSC carries Wilderness (Blue Buffalo)

* A high-protein, low-carb food that contains more of the chicken, duck or turkey dogs and cats love.
* Includes only the finest natural ingredients and contains NO chicken or poultry by-product meals†, artificial preservatives, corn, wheat or soy.
* Provides the added protection of BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource
00ae.png
Bits, a precise blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
* A sensible alternative to a raw diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue Buffalo isn't bad, but they also had manufacturing issues a couple of years ago. Everything seems to be fine now.

Back
Top Bottom