International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Here are a couple cockerels I have free ranging. Pardon the purple on the larger cockerel. The young Games like to feather pick tails so I had to spray him with blue kote. He has a white juvenile wing feather that the blue kote got on and that is what the purple is. He is the offspring of Max and #8 (line C) and carries her dark egg genes.

The darker cockerel (green leg band) is from Mashburn x Sheraz. All of the chicks from the Mashburn rooster have good straight keels despite the Mashburn rooster having a crooked keel. They are a separate project line and will be watched closely for crooked keels in the future. His offspring are going to have a good deep copper shade, so that is the goal to darken underfluff under the hackles.

I have several cockerels this size, and a few more younger ones still in the brooders so fingers crossed for a couple good ones.

View attachment 1511556 View attachment 1511557
Oh yea, they look good. Especially that little dark one, he looks like he's got something to prove.

@Hensndoes how is she feeding and taking care of her first baby if she is still sitting on eggs? Or did you take the baby from her?

Didn't take the baby. They are separated in the coop with feeder and waterer about a foot away. We put a roost in the run for the 3 adults and closed the door. The first baby is a week old and looks very healthy. Last week after baby hatched she rolled all the eggs over to the feeder and sat on them there- then rolled them back to the nest at night. I suspect the baby wanders over to eat as I see it out occasionally. I try to keep close eye on her but I think she's got this.

the remaining 3 eggs should hatch within a week tops if she doesn't give up. I suspect the refrigerated eggs are the ones she kicked out of the nest after collecting more as only 1 baby hatched on time and there were only 2 freshly laid eggs given to her. Lessons learned.

My broody ended up losing the little chick with the copper spot on it's head so I guess we'll never know now how it would've turned out :/

sorry for your loss.

I lost 4 chicks this year. one of them was a cross that was supposed to lay gray eggs. and she was a pullet. yesterday one chick died in shell. I guess this is not a hatching year.

I am officially part of the group! Yay!
My shipment of two whites, one Birchen, one Splash Copper, one Blue Copper and finally one Black Copper pullet.
20180823_171708.jpg 20180823_171631.jpg 20180823_171525.jpg 20180823_171541.jpg

Back
Top Bottom