International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

She is around 10 month old. She took a long time to start laying. She has been in a single pen so that is definitely her second egg.

I knew some thing is not normal. Very very late maturing. Hope she can catch up. Because she is 40 to 50 eggs behind a early laying strain.
BC pullets should start laying at 6 months. Late strain 7 months
Chooks man

She isnt a long hen really. He inherited the length of his back from Duke. He helped out tremendously with back length and tail angles in my birds.

Agree with you he helped you out. You have good hens they did not dominate the mating. They did throw progeny like they sire.
He is a dominant type
Chooks man

She isnt a long hen really. He inherited the length of his back from Duke. He helped out tremendously with back length and tail angles in my birds.

Duke seem to be bred pure for a long chunky type .he come from a long line of long back with a small tail .it is a reason he is dominant in the mating .
I think his son s will carry the trait too .
don t dismiss your hens .they are proven producer . I have seem a lot of bad quality hens ,but they where dominant in the mating ,regardless with rooster they are bred with ,they always throw bad looking progeny like themselves .
I think Blue bird will throw son s like Dark Angel if she is mated to him . from this pairing try to get couple pullets with a good copper and lay dark eggs ,even if they have high tail .those pullets will be very good to pair them to they Grand sire Duke to correct the tail and keeping the good copper .
Dukes need a special pairing in the future to get the best out of him without passing forward the SHM { split hackle marking } in his progeny .it is possible .
how is Queen doing ? looking forward to see her tagged progeny with Duke .
Malika and Dark Angel are a the top of my list . hatch as much as you can from this pair .
good luck my friend

chooks man

cockerels separated yesterday . 12 selected from Group #1 are penned with a adult rooster Black Mamba , 7 of them are his son s ,he did a great job .
P1110744.JPG
P1110745.JPG
P1110746.JPG
P1110741.JPG

5 group more to go .

chooks man

the pullets are enjoying the peace . 20 weeks now ,they are POL .they combs are getting larger and red . they did fill up a lot .and they are on they final molt before laying . the best still to come .
P1110768.JPG
P1110769.JPG
P1110771.JPG
P1110774.JPG

some thing I m really focused on ,the soundness of the legs and feet . no bent legs and no bent toes .
the white variety got the hit . it is they weakest point . from both sire Stallone and his son .Arnold .
lucky i made more white from Khabib and Samir#2 they are better and sound .

chooks man

Duke seem to be bred pure for a long chunky type .he come from a long line of long back with a small tail .it is a reason he is dominant in the mating .
I think his son s will carry the trait too .
don t dismiss your hens .they are proven producer . I have seem a lot of bad quality hens ,but they where dominant in the mating ,regardless with rooster they are bred with ,they always throw bad looking progeny like themselves .
I think Blue bird will throw son s like Dark Angel if she is mated to him . from this pairing try to get couple pullets with a good copper and lay dark eggs ,even if they have high tail .those pullets will be very good to pair them to they Grand sire Duke to correct the tail and keeping the good copper .
Dukes need a special pairing in the future to get the best out of him without passing forward the SHM { split hackle marking } in his progeny .it is possible .
how is Queen doing ? looking forward to see her tagged progeny with Duke .
Malika and Dark Angel are a the top of my list . hatch as much as you can from this pair .
good luck my friend

chooks man

I have 2 BLC pullets from Duke and Blue bird. I was waiting on them to mature more before I made my mind up on them. One has copper leakage on her chest and dark eyes. The other is looking good.

Queen is still in a pen without a male but I will get them all paired as soon as I can. My homelife has been hectic but I am hoping to get them all paired up soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom