International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I have a friend that makes my feed. I buy it $450 a ton. It has corn, wheat, peas, cheese, camelina and I think they add a vitamin supplement. There are a couple ingredients I missed. I can't remember what they where. I added a bag of feather fixer yesterday to two of my pens. My turkeys are molting and I hope that helps. I have really considered going to a commercial feed though. I worry since they don't free range they may not be getting everything they need. That's why I am considering a laying pellet but it would be about $600 or more a ton. A ton lasts me about 4 or 5 months.
I too would be concerned that someone making the feed may not have everything it needs. At least with commercial feeds it’s a complete feed.

Last edited:
I too would be concerned that someone making the feed my not have everything it needs. At least with commercial feeds it’s a complete feed.

how do you know?
are you a commercial chooks feed producer?
they all cut corner .they are human .
I will trust some one I know to make me my feed not a industrial unkown person .

chooks man

I have a friend that makes my feed. I buy it $450 a ton. It has corn, wheat, peas, cheese, camelina and I think they add a vitamin supplement. There are a couple ingredients I missed. I can't remember what they where. I added a bag of feather fixer yesterday to two of my pens. My turkeys are molting and I hope that helps. I have really considered going to a commercial feed though. I worry since they don't free range they may not be getting everything they need. That's why I am considering a laying pellet but it would be about $600 or more a ton. A ton lasts me about 4 or 5 months.

keep working with your friend .don t change any thing .the formula is working for your flock . they are big healthy .
your friend can look after you . they can adjust the feed to your need .

chooks man

my first step in breeding healthy chickens is to stay away from vaccines. the second step is to avoid commercial feed as much as possible. I plan to feed chicks with corn meal/cheese/nettle/susam mix and let them free roam at a young age. I will use broody hens when available (silkies and pekins).

my friend . the chooks don t care if they are vaccinated or not ,they don t care if they get commercial or home made feed .as long as they have a lot space ,a lot feed and dry shelter . safe from preditor . I have seen chooks eat dead rat ,dead chicken any thing they can get they beak into .
all what we are dealing with is human culture . vaccine .showing .SOP .and all the other stuff .chooks do no care about our believes .
chooks leave in the forest .they eat grass ,bugs ,worms ,nuts and what ever they can find .they do not have culture .they are free creature .

your chicks formula is good ,you need to add boiled eggs ,and some Vitamin .. you don t need commercial . my mom and grand mom had chooks . they never bought feed .only grains .they used mix they own formula . chicks ,/pullet or layer . dry bread soaked in milk for the cockerels .
chooks man

Hello my friends! Sorry I have been MIA! Everything decided to fall apart all at once. House pump, water heater, drain lines, water lines inside house and outside from pump house to house. They all have to be replaced. Dishwasher has short now. This has been dragging on for what seems like forever! Not anywhere near done. I hope you are all well! Blessings my friends!

I hear you my friend .some time every thing around us goes wrong .
hope your are better now .

chooks man

I was thinking to breed greek crested chickens and to work on the sop. people rejected my idea exactly for the reasons you said. they say the application of a standard will result in sick and weak birds. I gave it up. I am going to breed them anyway but there will be a colourful flock like so many landrace chickens. the only thing I will care about will be single comb and non feathered feet.

here a reason peoples don t like the SOP is they don t like to be told .they like to do what ever they want .because is they chooks . wrong attitude .
there is 2 type of chooks peoples .
1} the ones they want to have healthy ,good looking chooks and they like to play by the roles .
2} the ones they keep them selves in they backyard and mix the thing up .tell they destroy them ,they go ant more chooks and do a same thing .
following the SOP is not a crime . it is just a guide line to breed specific strain .nothing wrong about that .

chooks man

keep working with your friend .don t change any thing .the formula is working for your flock . they are big healthy .
your friend can look after you . they can adjust the feed to your need .

chooks man
I guess my friend took a list of feed to the University and they told them which ones and how much to use for complete feed for chickens and a list for pig feed and goat feed.

how do you know?
are you a commercial chooks feed producer?
they all cut corner .they are human .
I will trust some one I know to make me my feed not a industrial unkown person .

chooks man
My friend told me that most commercial feed has a lot of fillers. They basically provide the minimum nutrition. I liked getting feed from my friends better before they divorced. Just because I think she would be more accurate at mixing and making sure it has the right mix. I don't really know if it makes a difference for sure. The unknown! Lol

I too would be concerned that someone making the feed my not have everything it needs. At least with commercial feeds it’s a complete feed.
My friend took a list of different grains and such. They took it to the university and had them develope a complete feed. They told me that most store bought feed has a lot of fillers and is the minimum nutrition. They said it was not all that healthy. Idk, I have had many people ask where I get my feed but they only sell to friends.

My friend took a list of different grains and such. They took it to the university and had them develope a complete feed. They told me that most store bought feed has a lot of fillers and is the minimum nutrition. They said it was not all that healthy. Idk, I have had many people ask where I get my feed but they only sell to friends.

good to know .it is nice to work with peoples you can trust .they don t cut corners .
choks man

Back
Top Bottom