International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hi All, I’ve been a sometimes lurker on this thread but @jolenesdad in the meatbirds thread suggested I post here about some BCM meatbird questions. We have a BCM rooster and hen that my daughter bred with the intention of harvesting meatbirds in the fall. I’ve attached their pictures just for fun. We’ve just harvested one 4 month (18 wk) old BCM cockerel and he had nice legs, not a lot of breast, but that’s what we expected from the breed. 4 lb 2 oz dressed weight. However, he had so many pin feathers! We also harvested some 4 mo BCMx Ameraucana cockerels and pullets and they also had tons of pinfeathers. Since the birds are black feathered with pink skin, those pinfeathers really show. I’m wondering if you all have any insight as to ideal age to butcher BCM for meat? Thanks.
Pluckers really clean up the skin real good if you have one, but you will likely always see some dark pins. Luckily, once cooked you won't notice them. I like to butcher cockerels between 12 and 20 weeks, depending on if I'm wanting roasters or fryers, but my MIL complains about the roasters so I guess I need to butcher younger when possible right now. Older than that and I soup or coq a vin them.

Pluckers really clean up the skin real good if you have one, but you will likely always see some dark pins. Luckily, once cooked you won't notice them. I like to butcher cockerels between 12 and 20 weeks, depending on if I'm wanting roasters or fryers, but my MIL complains about the roasters so I guess I need to butcher younger when possible right now. Older than that and I soup or coq a vin them.
Why does your mom complain about the roasters?

Here is Broken Wing. He is all healed up and being his lovely self. So far he is my favorite. Lovely type and topline so far. Nice copper, clear eyes, and good comb.

20200928_165704.jpg

20200928_170645.jpg

I dont know about anyone else but i try to butcher at around 16-20 weeks sometimes earlier, sometimes later. It depends on my situation. Im only butchering for home consumption.

I just resign myself to dark pin feathers on dark birds. I dont know of any way around that.

That's why I skin my birds now. I cant handle the plucking and the dark pin feathers. Google a video on skinning a chicken. Much easier than scalding and plucking.

Back
Top Bottom