International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Mother in law is used to store chicken, which tastes like flavorless meat mush, so roasters are too chewy for her, even though the texture is similar to steak and she likes steak.... Lol

Pressure cook them until the meat easily pulls apart and is tender and not chewy. I have an instant pot. The meat that way is good for soups and stews. If you butcher past 4 months you have to pressure cook them or slow cook all day to get it tender.

I am going to try to prep my BCM cockerels the way @Chooks man described they do in France.

A mash of cracked corn, powdered milk and water last 4 weeks before butcher.

Many years ago when raising show broilers for an FFA Project I fed a same mash mixture as Chooks Man with one twist...I add 2 sticks of butter to the mixture. The skin would take on the same color as the butter.

She may be useful despite her dark eggs.

I would have to mate her to either her clear eyed uncle (Dark Halo), or her clear eyed grandsire (Duke) to avoid a brother sister mating. Both those males have halos and poor quality copper color. Her sire is Dark Angel and he has marbled eye color so doubling up on a fault would yield a high volume of dark eyed offspring.

Something to ponder on if she grows out as nice as she looks now.

You have some lovely birds Kayla! You’ve come a long way with your line.

Thanks buddy! They have probably worried 10 years off my life so at least they are coming along. Just have to figure out eye color and weed out marbled and dark eyed birds. Split wing is also showing up in small numbers, not high volumes but its there. There is still a lot of work to be done but I enjoy them. :)

Back
Top Bottom