International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I would have to mate her to either her clear eyed uncle (Dark Halo), or her clear eyed grandsire (Duke) to avoid a brother sister mating. Both those males have halos and poor quality copper color. Her sire is Dark Angel and he has marbled eye color so doubling up on a fault would yield a high volume of dark eyed offspring.

Something to ponder on if she grows out as nice as she looks now.

I think you can do brother/sister mating once without having problems. if there is a clear eyed cockerel? @Chooks man would it be ok?

Too bad this pullet has dark eyes. She is lovely. Keeping my eye on her despite her eye color.

View attachment 2352186

never mind her dark eyes .she is all perfect for what we looking for .Every post on her is correct except her dark eyes .
stunning long body type .great great plumage type and color .lovely tail . lovely head / copper to die for .complete hackle marking .and I can keep going and going .

Stunning . BRAVO my dear friend .
she is too perfect .
Sire please ?

we are going to create a keeper pen .so far .
cockerels = broken wing
pullet= this one ,you better name her well ,because we are going to hear about her . Like Sheraz before her ..

chooks man

I think you can do brother/sister mating once without having problems. if there is a clear eyed cockerel? @Chooks man would it be ok?

it is not the mating is a problem .the number of chicks hatched is a real factor .
because sibling carry almost a same genes . if they mated together ,most of genes will repeat them selves .
do no pair 2 chooks with a same faults regardless what they relation .
true sibling mating is a great tool to no what hidden genes are in your line before investing too much into it .

clear eyes cockerel will always yield high number of chicks with a good eyes .

chooks man

Another dark eyed pullet. She is nearly solid black but she has a back for days!

View attachment 2352189

Best body type of them all . she is true brick type we are looking for . true marans body type .gorgeous long back and tail .

Keeper pen for sure . baby dark Angel that her name if you like .
I really like this pullet .
you see I will allow the fault on the girls but not the boys . because now you have 2 sires progeny .

chooks man

I would have to mate her to either her clear eyed uncle (Dark Halo), or her clear eyed grandsire (Duke) to avoid a brother sister mating. Both those males have halos and poor quality copper color. Her sire is Dark Angel and he has marbled eye color so doubling up on a fault would yield a high volume of dark eyed offspring.

Something to ponder on if she grows out as nice as she looks now.

broken wing is her future mate for sure .
this pullet can not be crossed back to her Sire. Grand sire neither Uncle .
she need to be mated to new cockerel ,so we do not lose the gorgeous copper quality and we work to fix the eyes color . so sibling or cousin will be great .

chooks man

You guys all make me so envious with your lovely birds. I cannot for the life of me find anyone near me with Marans. One person has some, but their eggs are not even a 4, and their pullets are almost all black. Since Covid, and the border closure, being in Canada I may as well be on an island.. LOL I guess I will just have to do my best with my 3 pullets and be happy with making some CLB babies and Olive Eggers... and keep on searching.
I got a fairy egg yesterday.. I am hoping it isn't from one of my Marans pullets,(because it wasn't very dark) but I think it probably is. It was a fair size for a first egg, but looked just like a Welsummer egg. None today. I will have to try and catch her in the act to see who it is. My Marans are just 21 wks, and my Easter Eggers/Olive Eggers are 17 wk. So It could be anyone.
Would 21 wks be early for a Marans hen to lay? Sound too early, right? Im hoping its one of my Welsummer/Marans/EE mixes that are 17 weeks.
Here it is. Hmmp. Dont know how it ended up sideways. Sorry.

What do you think? Marans? :hitWas hoping for darker...

View attachment 2352556

marans shape { on the right} need more color that all .
chooks man

@chickengr

here few photos of the new cages .
P1130362.JPG
P1130363.JPG

60 cm X 60 cm X 120 cm
2 ft X 2 ft X 4 ft

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom