International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

And those are breeding pens?
So i can make them as small as 2x2x4 and be good?

I like them. Welded rebar will last forever.

yes will be used for single mating breeding programs . only pullet /hen will be in the cage .rooster will be in a larger pen ,we take the hens to them for mating . this way I can try on cockerel with as many hens as I like 10 to 30 . single mating is a proper way to build a line foundation . when that is established I can move to stage 2 .breeding the proven breeders as a group .pen breeding .

pullets/hen will stay in the cage only for 2 weeks .
these cages will be used for many things . like you said will last for ever

chooks man

IMG_20200929_092636266.jpg
IMG_20200929_092559443.jpg

I've marked this fella as keeper, out of big Jackson. I need to mark a few more, I just really like him. He's really well marked, and his silver is so pure, great eyes, ECT. He's a slow feathering type for sure and his bros have yoinked a few tail feathers out.

View attachment 2353051View attachment 2353052
I've marked this fella as keeper, out of big Jackson. I need to mark a few more, I just really like him. He's really well marked, and his silver is so pure, great eyes, ECT. He's a slow feathering type for sure and his bros have yoinked a few tail feathers out.

agree with you ,his silver and marking plus his head are his 3 great asset . what needed from a breeder cockerel . love to see him with a full tail .
he need to be mated with thicker bones hens and heavy legs feathering .the rest he will take care off .
I like him . Marans roster should have a smaller comb like this guy .
you have done great job . Bravo .

chooks man

it is not the mating is a problem .the number of chicks hatched is a real factor .
because sibling carry almost a same genes . if they mated together ,most of genes will repeat them selves .
do no pair 2 chooks with a same faults regardless what they relation .
true sibling mating is a great tool to no what hidden genes are in your line before investing too much into it .

clear eyes cockerel will always yield high number of chicks with a good eyes .

chooks man

I was thinking about inbreeding and health issues. not about faults.

I was thinking about inbreeding and health issues. not about faults.

inbreeding healthy chooks will never causes problem as long is selective breeding . only the healthy one pass forward to breed the next generation .very serious stuff .has to be be respected .
if we start with unhealthy chooks ,than all progeny will become sick regardless of the relation of the parent chooks .

chooks man

broken wing is her future mate for sure .
this pullet can not be crossed back to her Sire. Grand sire neither Uncle .
she need to be mated to new cockerel ,so we do not lose the gorgeous copper quality and we work to fix the eyes color . so sibling or cousin will be great .

chooks man

Yes cousins would be a good option. We'll see what I end up with when they are all grown out. :)

never mind her dark eyes .she is all perfect for what we looking for .Every post on her is correct except her dark eyes .
stunning long body type .great great plumage type and color .lovely tail . lovely head / copper to die for .complete hackle marking .and I can keep going and going .

Stunning . BRAVO my dear friend .
she is too perfect .
Sire please ?

we are going to create a keeper pen .so far .
cockerels = broken wing
pullet= this one ,you better name her well ,because we are going to hear about her . Like Sheraz before her ..

chooks man

Im glad you agree her dark eyes wouldn't hold her back from breeding. A single mated pen with a clear eyed male may be in her future. Her sire is Dark Angel. :)

Back
Top Bottom