International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
The Marans SOP states that that plummage should be moderately tight and smooth textured. You may recall that we have mentioned tight or loose feathering in some of our critiques. I thought I would share an example of loose feathering (undesirable) in one of my growout pullets. I will wait until after her final juvenile molt but I suspect that this fault will not improve. She will most likely end up in my layer pen unless she lays an exceptionally dark egg then I may consider single mating her then culling hard for loose plumage. In the pics, notice how the feathers are fluffed outward from the middle of her back towards her tail.
those type of loose feathers will molt out normally .
let see when she is fully grown .

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Couple pics of one of my 10 week old cockerels. I don’t think I posted pics of him before. He is maturing slower than the others but I like his type, tail, dark copper hackles and eyes. He’s well chunky and wide thru the shoulders. He has a long way to go but I like what I’m seeing so far.
great body type
great stand
great tail .

chooks man

kcrandall

Crowing
Nov 16, 2015
North Central Texas
those type of loose feathers will molt out normally .
let see when she is fully grown .

chooks man
I sure hope so because she has really nice type, eyes and tail. She lack copper hackles but I have a young cockerel that is showing really good color in all the right places so he can fix the hackles in her female progeny.

chickengr

Free Ranging
Dec 29, 2014
greece
And the pullet from line#2 with the most copper is also looking too bright also?

Its hard to get an accurate picture.

View attachment 2391751 View attachment 2391752

I guess my question is, if these 2 cockerels end up with halos (which im pretty sure they will have), can i breed them to my darker hens and have balanced offspring?

I might be too tired or semi blind but these birds look good to me. you can always breed darker hens to them in order to get better coloured offspring.

Top Bottom