International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

@Punkybrewster we are keeping these 4 hens ( 2 from line#2 and 2 from line #3) to breed pullets line from them .
we just need to breed them lightly and we can let them go if you want .
we need to mate them to 2 best cockerel we kept .yellow tag and one of the other 2 .the one with a nicest comb . that will give us different group of pullets to select from in the future .
so to make it clear =
.the 4 hens we are keeping are pullets line hens . we back cross them to the young cockerel, they pullets progeny should lay dark eggs . this pen is pullets line .
the other 3 best pullets we selected before are to produce for as cockerels . this pen is to produce better comb and well colored cockerels .this pen will be cockerels pen .
now you have 2 breeding pen .
4 adult hens .
3 older pullets.
3 cockerels ( yellow tag and other 2 his half brothers)
the rest you can sale them or do what ever you want with them .

I will rexplain this method to you later when I have more time .I m on my way to the farm today ,so I m running out of time .
chooks man

Yes.
I will keep the 4 hens from line#2,3 for the pullet line and to back cross.

Taking pictures and explaining each hen, pullet and cockerel makes this so much easier. I see what you are teaching me.
I know what you are going to tell me to do most of the time when I see the photos posted now.

I will have to cull the other hens. I have no room.
I do have 2 coops that can hold 12 birds.
I will make them pullet line coop and cockerel line coop once the younger group of pullets are divided.

Thank you @Chooks man.

I don't have great pictures but found these. They are young still around 12 weeks I think.

Very nice!
Im glad you have 4 bc.
So sorry you have a lot of health problems. It makes it hard to do the things you want to do. It must be very frustrating.
But even so, you are getting results in the Marans pen.

Very nice!
Im glad you have 4 bc.
So sorry you have a lot of health problems. It makes it hard to do the things you want to do. It must be very frustrating.
But even so, you are getting results in the Marans pen.
Thank you! It has been a challenging year. I have so many doctors appointments. I have been to the doctors more this year then all the other years put together. I feel like a pincushion. I am like leave me alone! I don't have any blood left. Lol

Tonight I am caging the 2 cockerels to butcher in the morning.
-The high tailed one
-and the one with an M in his comb.

20221001_155649.jpg

I will also cull the hens that we chose not to keep.

This will leave:
3 F1 cockerels
2 line #2 hens
2 line #3 hens

Back
Top Bottom