International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

View attachment 3438398this guy is standing on one foot, hes slightly smaller tjan the other guy but these two are my favorites in that pen. The bigger guy with the dub comb is i believe a dark blue silver, but hes pretty great anyways.he makes chunky babies with good qualities. View attachment 3438399View attachment 3438401View attachment 3438403
Both are gorgeous looking dudes . Pure silver good body type .
The size of the chicks come from the hens mostly . The rooster usually will add vigorous to the chicks and body colour .
Chooks man

20230320_191501-jpg.3438398

@Bantambird
this rooster ook very nice ,now I m looking at him on my lap top not the phone .I can see how pure is his silver plus love his complete body pattern .
I love the body type of the hen next to him she is realy chunky .very broad shoulder and super developed rear . that why are you getting chunky chicks ,
in this photo I can see the same hen I think ,super long flat back with gorgeous small ppointy thin tail .stunning
low to the ground body type ,the way they should be .love your work my dear friend .Bravo
20230320_191634-jpg.3438403

chooks man

here are the caracteristic I select for when choosing the breeders .this traits are placed in order of domiance .I gave each trait points .the trait with a higher score always goes first in my selection .
this is my own formula I developed along the years working with marans chooks .the total score is 100 pints .there is 8 major traits . some traits are grouped together to make it easier to select for because they are related in some how .
1- Body type = 25 points.
2- dark eggs laying = 20
3- body colour= 15
4= tail ( shape ,form and angle) = 12,5
5= head ( size ,eyes ,combs and walltes )= 10
6 -free from parasitic white = 8.5
7- legs ( feathering .colour and type ) =5
8 - plumage type =5

hope this method will help you select witch caracteristic to select for first .
chooks man

Finally got a updated pics of Prince. He was born early August 2022 of the earlier chic pics posted from Joannie and King.. He'll be 7.5 months on Monday.
He's inherited his Dads crow (trails off at end) and Dads white in tail it seems. View attachment 3439922

View attachment 3439926
From these photos I can see he has a nice comb and legs plus he is well coloured .
He has a good chest too .
Love to see photos from side view and rear .
Chooks man

From these photos I can see he has a nice comb and legs plus he is well coloured .
He has a good chest too .
Love to see photos from side view and rear .
Chooks man
Absolutely, I'll get some 2maro I need to get pics of his 3 sisters also, anyways.
Only thing other than white in his tail is him and his sisters seem to have a lot of feathering on their shanks and feet.

Will the white be passed down to his 3 sisters also? Will they pass the white down to their cockerels?

And thank you @Chooksman for the describe of him, always much appreciated of your knowledge.

As I'm growing out chicks from Juniors cockerel line pen, I have mossy cockerels but also several mossy pullets now that they are all old enough to sex.

Chooks Man says its okay if the young cockerels have it and it grows out but not good if the pullets have it. I am not keeping any of the young pullets that show any.

Nearly all of the chicks from this pen have it. They are also showing good copper coming in at a much younger age.

Is it because both JR and his hens have complete copper? Is there something I should be doing to avoid it?

So far, I have not noticed chicks from the other pen (Mr. Comb) having this issue.

...or am I just overthinking this.

My question is, what causes mossiness?

As I'm growing out chicks from Juniors cockerel line pen, I have mossy cockerels but also several mossy pullets now that they are all old enough to sex.

Chooks Man says its okay if the young cockerels have it and it grows out but not good if the pullets have it. I am not keeping any of the young pullets that show any.

Nearly all of the chicks from this pen have it. They are also showing good copper coming in at a much younger age.

Is it because both JR and his hens have complete copper? Is there something I should be doing to avoid it?

So far, I have not noticed chicks from the other pen (Mr. Comb) having this issue.

...or am I just overthinking this.

My question is, what causes mossiness?
Mossiness is caused by the autossomal red genes not the sex red genes.
The autossomal red genes are responsible for the red ( salmon ) chest of the wild type variety like a salmon Marans. They are responsible in the presence of the Ewh to turn the wild hen pattern into wheatenncoulor. They are responsible to turn the ER variety rooster to black copper the autossomal red genes give the black copper / lie copper rooster red shoulder and laced chest .
The true birchen variety ER/ER ( black copper and silver black ) should have a laced chest all the way to they legs . The chicks should be mossy because of the presence of the autossomal red . But the Marans SOP call for black chest or little laced chest on the roosters and complete black chest for the hens , basically bad birchen genetically speaking .
if we breed for less Autossomal red genes than the roosters will end up have black shoulders. It is a reason I always say we need to balance the mating to produce chooks comply to the SOP.
Test mating is a best way like you have done with junior and a full hackles hens they are producing mossy pullets( no no no go zone )
Keep the best cockerels from junior but not the pullets . They where design to produce cockerels for us not pullets . That why we call them cockerels line.
You are saying the chicks from good comb don t have mossiness . Pullets line.
Sorry I n writing from my phone. I will explained better when I m home . Working from lap top
Chooks man

Thank you for this explanation.

Yes. Cockerel line looks to be producing nice cockerels as it should but not nice pullets then. Of course, that makes sense.
There are 15 I am growing out to select from.

Pullet line I need to wait a few more weeks to see exactly what is coming out but I do not see mossiness. I am only keeping pullets from the darkest eggs from this pen. And 1 who doesn't lay the darkest but has a beautiful shaped egg.

Please don't ever think I'm questioning your advice.
I am just one of those people that needs to know WHY about everything. It can be very annoying.

Back
Top Bottom