International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Ahh temp and humid! I am using a hovabator 1588 forced air model. I bought some digital thermometer/hydrometer on amazon and calibrated the incubator to those. My temp was between 99.8 F - 100F for most of the incubation. Humidity according to the bator was around 40% sometimes dropping to 35% . At lockdown when I unplugged the turner the temp dropped on my digital thermometer down to 96.7, but my incubator still read 100F so I got scared that it was too cool and turned the incubator up a wee bit to 100.5 F ( then my digital read 98.4 - 98.9 ) I’m worried I cooked the developing eggs when I did that because there was way more signs of life before lockdown. ( Now I’m questioning the accuracy of my digital thermometer because when I stuck a mercury thermometer in after I lowered the temp back down to 100F the mercury thermometer read 100F

During lockdown According to the bator the humidy was 44-48 but the digital read 58- 64. I went with the digital one. The bator needed refilled with water every couple days. Didn’t hold humidity amazingly.

My house is dry, my climate is dry. We have a wood stove going all the time in the winter. Humidity in my house according to the digital hydrometer is 10%. I definitely could never get away with a dry hatch.

Sorry this post is so long, but I’ve had three really bad hatched so far this season, and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, because fertility has been great.
I also live in a fairly dry climate, south central montana is mostly semi arid, humidity usually hangs in the low teens most times. Since I have been hatching so long I don't wory as much about humidity as I do air cell size. Although I can't really run a dry hatch, I do open all the vents halfway in the back for lots of fresh air and when I candle I make a note of the air cell and compare it to where it should be at the stage it is in. Eggs should loose, I think it was 18% of their volume, over incubation? You can weigh the eggs to get an idea of what you are looking at, I just know what they are supposed to look like now so I don't weigh throught any more, I just candle and look for irregularities. In my incubator, there is only one water pan, with the vents all halfway open. In the hatcher, there is one vent in the back and it is all the way open, but I have 2 pans of water in the hatcher. The humidity doesn't get to over30%. Marans eggs are less porous and so retain more moisture, requiring less humidity that the standard egg. Whatever their setting, it seems to be the same for turkey eggs, because both Marans and turkeys both seem to hatch the best in these conditions.

She is gorgeous
View attachment 3446869
Bit of a longer tail. But she was posing and I took a picture. Her foot feathering is in poor condition from winter, hopefully it grows back. This is a yearling hen. I'd like her a little bigger and deeper in the chest. Nice color, though.
i like she is very nice . Nice tail even if it is a little longer.
Chooks man

View attachment 3446869
Bit of a longer tail. But she was posing and I took a picture. Her foot feathering is in poor condition from winter, hopefully it grows back. This is a yearling hen. I'd like her a little bigger and deeper in the chest. Nice color, though.
Love her complete hackle and her pure silver.
Keg feathering will regrow again .
Chooks man

Chick #1 without the red light. This one has the least white, and potential to be a good breeder. I hope!

She’s ( I think she’s a she?) is chunky but the chunkiest is definitely chick #3, the one with way too much white hatch down.
Good body type , correct hatch down and lovely feet feathering. Hope it is a she .
Chooks man

Chick #1 without the red light. This one has the least white, and potential to be a good breeder. I hope!

She’s ( I think she’s a she?) is chunky but the chunkiest is definitely chick #3, the one with way too much white hatch down.
I like the stance of this chick and the width and straightness of the legs. Great traits for any chick to have .
Chooks man

Here couples photos of my splash copper hen Bullet train son s they are as long as her . They are in moult right now .
This guy name is speed train:
648D83D2-2887-4061-8A17-FA4C038ACD9A.jpeg

This guy name is fast train: the splash rooster
CEE5E4E1-B31F-4F00-AB2D-B3FAC31CD189.jpeg

If we select the right hen for breeding we will fix the body type.
They mother Bullet train:
1E51B4B2-66DA-45B7-8C8B-020C7C6936CB.jpeg

Hope this information help .
Chooks man

Back
Top Bottom