International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I’ve been told not to hatch pullet eggs as it will reduce the mass in the hatched birds.

I know. I've weighed the eggs, they're around 55 g right now. This is just a test hatch to check fertility. I'm not overly concerned about low mass at the moment. Babies will be eating game bird feed since they'll be sharing a brooder so the extra protien should help them grow.

I am still working on looking up info. So far I'm not coming up with a lot aside from what I have read posted by folks seeking answers themselves. It appears to be a cyst or tumor like mass on the beak area. It doesn't appear to be causing the cockerel any problems but I won't likely be using him. I wouldn't want to risk it being hereditary. I will wait until Chooks man chimes in with his input. I'm sure he has encountered it during his many years of experience with Marans.

I checked out the cockerel today and his bump is pracitcally gone. He is going on 6.5 months and it looks like it is totally going away. I'm not convinced it is a genetic defect.

img_20171209_201240-jpg.1205674

@kfelton0002
you done well .
they are very nice .Keep this line pure .don t ad any thing to it ,never mind the show .

those eggs are of high quality ,she is just started . good girl .

one day in the future will be very proud of your line . work with it slowly .don t rush the thing . be a breeder first not a show person and start to panic .take your time .select well .find a market for your cull .hatch as much as you can

Class .Bravo

I keep telling you .you have a good base to work with .breed them well

chooks man

Thank you! :D This line will be bred pure (FRF) and I plan on entering eggs from this line in egg shows next year. My LA and FRF x LA birds will be my show bird stock. I will focus on egg color and shape with the pure FRF birds. :)

Thank you! :D This line will be bred pure (FRF) and I plan on entering eggs from this line in egg shows next year. My LA and FRF x LA birds will be my show bird stock. I will focus on egg color and shape with the pure FRF birds. :)

sound like a good plan to me .
2 separate line s bred for different purpose .

keeping the line pure is the way to go . it is challenging but if done properly will yield great result .

the commercial chooks are heavily inbred .they inbreeding Coefficient ICO is 70%.

some great old line own by Colleges in the US are known to have they ICO ( inbreeding coefficient ) = 98% almost as a clones . Selective breeding at it highest level . those line s where bred for marek and other sickness resistance .

a lot of peoples think inbreeding in chooks is very bad .I say out crossing is very bad . nothing can be established and bred true .just a low of dominance and the Ataviatic return of the recessive genes at play .

all the best .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom