International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Do hens/pullets go near the cock pen?

The hens go near my bachelor pen at feeding time but the boys just drop their wings at the hens and show off to them but no fighting. Males that are together only fight when a subordinate rooster mounts a hen and the alpha gets mad and goes to interrupt the act, like my free ranging birds. Griffin, the cock bird gets 50 shades of crazy when a cockerel mounts one of his girls. Lol

I have always had good luck with three roosters in the yard but two have always been a problem. What do you think kfelton0002 and Auroradream26 if I just let everyone out and let them go where they want. Sounds like they will sort everything out themselves and they have 20 acres to run.

It may make your hens miserable with all that testosterone pursuing them all the time. But you can just watch them and make sure they dont get too rough. Cockerels get on my nerves because they lack grace in their "technique" and are very rough on the females. Wam, bam, not even a thank you mam! Lol

It may make your hens miserable with all that testosterone pursuing them all the time. But you can just watch them and make sure they dont get too rough. Cockerels get on my nerves because they lack grace in their "technique" and are very rough on the females. Wam, bam, not even a thank you mam! Lol
Thanks..... I will lock all the roosters/cockerels up tonight at dark thirty. They can wake up and fight in the morning. After a couple of days I will alternate the two cockerels and let them learn some flock manners from the older hens. Antonio goes running across the yard and body slams any cockerel guilty of trespassing on his flock. Something funny that has happened recently. Antonio has been with the same hens for a couple of years. The new batch of pullets have a separate coop. A few days ago Antonio abandoned the older hens coop and is now sleeping with the pullets.
I took this pic when my Ameraucana rooster was running to get a cockerel bothering one of the pullets. He was flying across the yard.

20151218_080129.jpg

Thanks..... I will lock all the roosters/cockerels up tonight at dark thirty. They can wake up and fight in the morning. After a couple of days I will alternate the two cockerels and let them learn some flock manners from the older hens. Antonio goes running across the yard and body slams any cockerel guilty of trespassing on his flock. Something funny that has happened recently. Antonio has been with the same hens for a couple of years. The new batch of pullets have a separate coop. A few days ago Antonio abandoned the older hens coop and is now sleeping with the pullets.
I took this pic when my Ameraucana rooster was running to get a cockerel bothering one of the pullets. He was flying across the yard.

View attachment 1396973

Yep them ol' cock birds dont like anyone getting it on with their ladies! Lol

And that is too funny that Antonio has abandoned his hens and is shacking up with the teenagers! Cradle robber! :rolleyes:

Remember that little cockeral with sour crop. I treated him and purged him. Give him oil and massaged him. Nothing helped much. It would keep filling back up and was pendulous. It was so big! I finally gave up after about a month. I think there was something plugged down going into the gizzard and was not alowing crop to drain. I never got around to doing the dirty task. It should have been done about 3 weeks ago but with my accident and health issues. My husband said to me isn't that the little rooster that was so bad. He looks fine to me! Yep it was! His crop is completely normal! Wow! This is him now. Also look at the legs on my hen! Is it me or do they not look as yellow! I am liking this BC pullet also. 20180521_083917.jpg 20180521_084327.jpg 20180521_084002_001.jpg 20180521_084542.jpg 20180521_084533.jpg

Remember that little cockeral with sour crop. I treated him and purged him. Give him oil and massaged him. Nothing helped much. It would keep filling back up and was pendulous. It was so big! I finally gave up after about a month. I think there was something plugged down going into the gizzard and was not alowing crop to drain. I never got around to doing the dirty task. It should have been done about 3 weeks ago but with my accident and health issues. My husband said to me isn't that the little rooster that was so bad. He looks fine to me! Yep it was! His crop is completely normal! Wow! This is him now. Also look at the legs on my hen! Is it me or do they not look as yellow! I am liking this BC pullet also.View attachment 1398202 View attachment 1398203 View attachment 1398208 View attachment 1398209 View attachment 1398212
The splash is perfect! The BC pullet is lovely. And I hardly ever intercede with a sick/injured chicken. I don't want to keep an unhealthy chicken in my flock. Sometimes we just need to give them time.

Back
Top Bottom