International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

How's everyone doing ? I missed quite a bit in thread since life got a bit busy there for minute . Hope everyone is well .
Still really enjoying watching my marans grow up ,there are def my favs in the flock with those beautiful colors .View attachment 1405374 View attachment 1405375

How old are they now? I forget when you posted them. I like the cock on the left. Question- I notice my cockerel has legs that aren't quite smooth so I been greasing him with Vaseline thinking it's the beginning of leg mites. I think yours look like his - is it or am I just a hypochondriac?

Geez ya know I named them Bob and Gina because when they were chicks the one on the left looked female . Everyone here said Gina was a he lol I was tending to agree lately but the waddle comb just hasn't been getting dark like the one Anyway long story short I send these pics to the breeder this am he's say yup Gina is a Gina that's how his young hens look in this line ....weird .
As for the legs both of mine are fine they might look a little rough because the pic is a little more detailed from Instagram ,I was trying to capture the colors of the feathers as they were in the sun

Geez ya know I named them Bob and Gina because when they were chicks the one on the left looked female . Everyone here said Gina was a he lol I was tending to agree lately but the waddle comb just hasn't been getting dark like the one Anyway long story short I send these pics to the breeder this am he's say yup Gina is a Gina that's how his young hens look in this line ....weird .
As for the legs both of mine are fine they might look a little rough because the pic is a little more detailed from Instagram ,I was trying to capture the colors of the feathers as they were in the sun

I wondered if my phone makes the pic grainy. Well. Gina has red in her wing bows... I'm calling Gina is a Reginald. How old?

Edit: maybe his birds are mossy?

Edit: I meant right! No idea why I typed left.

Last time: well there's red in the left one too. I'm guessin both cocks.

Last edited:
The chicks started hatching late last night. Seven have hatched and all look good. All the chicks that have hatched are in the 1588 (fan). No chicks in the still air have hatched. Maybe I drowned them. Maybe they are behind because of the still air. Tomorrow is the due date. One has a dime size hole but nothing since this morning. One has pipped and I can see it moving a little. I guess it was a bad idea to put half the eggs in the still air. I just thought it would give them more room. As you say @kfelton0002 .... it is trial and error. I am grateful for the magnificent 7. Incubators still in lockdown. Thankfully I am too tired to be stressed. What will be.... will be.

I don't know the exact date they were hatched but I'm going with some time beginning March ish . He had mentioned that line developed a bit slower ,his breeders are from Greenfire Farms so not sure what characteristics they'd have from those . I just know they are lovely and very relaxed

I wondered if my phone makes the pic grainy. Well. Gina has red in her wing bows... I'm calling Gina is a Reginald. How old?

Edit: maybe his birds are mossy?

Edit: I meant right! No idea why I typed left.

Last time: well there's red in the left one too. I'm guessin both cocks.

At this point I'm just waiting to see who crows so far this guy is the only one I hear/see and he's such a funny little weirdo lolol .
I just want a nice breeding pair of Marans please be Gina PLEASE ! LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180518-085803.png
    Screenshot_20180518-085803.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
The chicks started hatching late last night. Seven have hatched and all look good. All the chicks that have hatched are in the 1588 (fan). No chicks in the still air have hatched. Maybe I drowned them. Maybe they are behind because of the still air. Tomorrow is the due date. One has a dime size hole but nothing since this morning. One has pipped and I can see it moving a little. I guess it was a bad idea to put half the eggs in the still air. I just thought it would give them more room. As you say @kfelton0002 .... it is trial and error. I am grateful for the magnificent 7. Incubators still in lockdown. Thankfully I am too tired to be stressed. What will be.... will be.

Im happy to hear you have 7 hatched already and are doing well. Congratulations on your new babies! I hope there are even more to come! :D

I've never been a fan of still air incubators because of inconsistency in the temps and temp spikes from my experience. Give them time though, they may hatch over night.

I know what you mean about being too tired to be stressed. We drove 2.5 hours away today to get 2 trios of Old English Games and I'm mentally and physically exhausted. It doesnt seem like a difficult task but toting a 5 year old along really makes for an exhausting day.

Im happy to hear you have 7 hatched already and are doing well. Congratulations on your new babies! I hope there are even more to come! :D

I've never been a fan of still air incubators because of inconsistency in the temps and temp spikes from my experience. Give them time though, they may hatch over night.

I know what you mean about being too tired to be stressed. We drove 2.5 hours away today to get 2 trios of Old English Games and I'm mentally and physically exhausted. It doesnt seem like a difficult task but toting a 5 year old along really makes for an exhausting day.

I know you are tired. Do you like your new Games?

The 1588 (fan) incubator has 12 out of 18 so far. All looking good. The two that were trying to hatch in the Air incubator seem to have died, no movement or progress. I had 36 eggs in the fan incubator for 18 days. I divided the eggs and put 18 eggs in each incubator only 2 days ago. You would not think it would make such a difference. I am at 66% hatch rate on one incubator (and more getting ready to hatch) and 0 in the other. All things were equal 2 days ago. Just mind boggling.

I know you are tired. Do you like your new Games?

The 1588 (fan) incubator has 12 out of 18 so far. All looking good. The two that were trying to hatch in the Air incubator seem to have died, no movement or progress. I had 36 eggs in the fan incubator for 18 days. I divided the eggs and put 18 eggs in each incubator only 2 days ago. You would not think it would make such a difference. I am at 66% hatch rate on one incubator (and more getting ready to hatch) and 0 in the other. All things were equal 2 days ago. Just mind boggling.

Yes I am very happy with my Games! I got a really good deal on them because a friend of mine was getting out of standard games to focus on her bantams. They are beautiful and very well bred. I have some eggs in the incubator from her and some chicks too so I should have a few to show in the fall.

Wow they are popping like pop corn if you hatched 12 out of 18 in the Genesis so far. Thats good! It could have been poor ventilation in the still air causing the chicks to die before hatching. Eggs have to have good air circulation. Its about trial and error though.. things rarely ever seem to go the way you want them to when chickens are involved. Your genesis is plenty big enough to hatch 40+ eggs in.. Ive done it. They are great little incubators and far superior than any still air. I've always had great hatch rates in my Genesis.

I'm sorry but if the breeder you got those birds from is telling you that bird on the left is a female they are delusional. They are both boys, I'm sorry. :(

If you lived close I'd give you a pullet. I'm sorry you didnt end up with a pair. Chickens can be frustrating.. boy do I know. Lol

Back
Top Bottom