International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

How's everyone doing ? I missed quite a bit in thread since life got a bit busy there for minute . Hope everyone is well .
Still really enjoying watching my marans grow up ,there are def my favs in the flock with those beautiful colors .View attachment 1405374 View attachment 1405375
Definitely both cockerels, they both have copper coming in on their backs. Pullets shouldn't have that.

Yes I am very happy with my Games! I got a really good deal on them because a friend of mine was getting out of standard games to focus on her bantams. They are beautiful and very well bred. I have some eggs in the incubator from her and some chicks too so I should have a few to show in the fall.

Wow they are popping like pop corn if you hatched 12 out of 18 in the Genesis so far. Thats good! It could have been poor ventilation in the still air causing the chicks to die before hatching. Eggs have to have good air circulation. Its about trial and error though.. things rarely ever seem to go the way you want them to when chickens are involved. Your genesis is plenty big enough to hatch 40+ eggs in.. Ive done it. They are great little incubators and far superior than any still air. I've always had great hatch rates in my Genesis.
I was worried about the dry hatch but that definitely worked out fine. It will be exciting for you to have beautiful birds to show! Game birds and Marans!

Last edited:
I don't know the exact date they were hatched but I'm going with some time beginning March ish . He had mentioned that line developed a bit slower ,his breeders are from Greenfire Farms so not sure what characteristics they'd have from those . I just know they are lovely and very relaxed
My birds are Greenfire and Little Peddler. Love the Marans temperment. They are very inquisitive. Always asking questions, hu, hu, hu, ha, hm?

I was worried about the dry hatch but that definitely worked out fine. It will be exciting to have beautiful birds to show!

I'd say that in your humid climate that a dry hatch probably evens the humidity out well. What did the humidity read with the incubator dry? A dry hatch wouldnt work in every climate, like in my area. When my incubator is dry it reads about 25-28%. I've never attemped a dry hatch though, but I have ran the incubator dry for a week to dry them out a little prior to lockdown.

@RedBanks yes I am very anxious to get started showing! It will be nerve wrecking at first but I'll become more at ease with it over time. I gave my friend we got the Games from a young Marans pair today to get her started as well as a Legbar trio. She had a few Marans and Legbar chicks already but I'm happy to get more breeders on board. The more the merrier. I like helping her out because she has helped me get geared towards showing and will be a familiar face at shows. Chicken friends are the best! :)

@RedBanks yes I am very anxious to get started showing! It will be nerve wrecking at first but I'll become more at ease with it over time. I gave my friend we got the Games from a young Marans pair today to get her started as well as a Legbar trio. She had a few Marans and Legbar chicks already but I'm happy to get more breeders on board. The more the merrier. I like helping her out because she has helped me get geared towards showing and will be a familiar face at shows. Chicken friends are the best! :)
It never hurts to network. I am looking forward to hearing how things go!

I'd say that in your humid climate that a dry hatch probably evens the humidity out well. What did the humidity read with the incubator dry? A dry hatch wouldnt work in every climate, like in my area. When my incubator is dry it reads about 25-28%. I've never attemped a dry hatch though, but I have ran the incubator dry for a week to dry them out a little prior to lockdown.
I stayed in the 30 to 35 range. I only put a tablespoon of water if I got too close to 25. What was funny to me was remember the last time I couldn't keep the humidity down. I am having a great hatch if you don't count the totally failing still air incubator. As always if I get off the beaten path I get in trouble and I just can't help myself..... I always leave the path.

I stayed in the 30 to 35 range. I only put a tablespoon of water if I got too close to 25. What was funny to me was remember the last time I couldn't keep the humidity down. I am having a great hatch if you don't count the totally failing still air incubator. As always if I get off the beaten path I get in trouble and I just can't help myself..... I always leave the path.

That is perfect then for Marans eggs! Great job! And dont beat yourself up for trying new things, thats how we learn. Whether we learn from an accomplishment or from a failure, there is a lesson there either way. I've had many flops and failures along the way. There will always be more eggs from your beautiful Marans to set. :)

That is perfect then for Marans eggs! Great job! And dont beat yourself up for trying new things, thats how we learn. Whether we learn from an accomplishment or from a failure, there is a lesson there either way. I've had many flops and failures along the way. There will always be more eggs from your beautiful Marans to set. :)
Tomorrow is day 21. There aren't many eggs left. Do I still go to day 22?

Back
Top Bottom