International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Wow that looks crazy wicked! Ive never seen a comb like that before! Lol. Yeah definitely cull him! And the pullet that grew out of it will probably be okay to use if she looks good otherwise. The pullet that hasnt grown out of it I would use her as a layer only.
I’m going to continue to grow him out to see how the rest of him turns out. I’m not going to cull him just for that nasty comb. Lol. I’ll deal with those combs if he turns out like I think he might. He’s twice the size of my other birds and he’s made well. Ill just cull for combs if I decide to keep him. He would make some large hens.

I’m going to continue to grow him out to see how the rest of him turns out. I’m not going to cull him just for that nasty comb. Lol. I’ll deal with those combs if he turns out like I think he might. He’s twice the size of my other birds and he’s made well. Ill just cull for combs if I decide to keep him. He would make some large hens.

This is true. Culling for combs is no different than culling for anything else. You're going to run into plenty to cull for as you work with them. My favorite blue copper cockerel has developed a high tail. That's the way it goes. Lol. His brother is looking okay though.

Here is the blue copper cockerel that originally was my 2nd favorite. Now his tail looks better than the other one. His comb is ugly and his copper is too light in his hackle but he may develop into a decent bird that is worth working with. His eyes are yellow for now but no marbeling like some of his sisters. I do like his darker blue shade and lacing.

20180613_163132.jpg
20180613_162958.jpg
20180613_162949.jpg
20180613_162901.jpg

20180613_162850.jpg
20180613_162843.jpg

Well, I have a little delay in getting everything I ordered. I will have to wait 3 weeks for my Blue Birchen pullets. They are worth the wait. I am still getting 1 white cockeral and 4 white Marans pullets. I am also getting 5 Blue Copper pullets and two Blue Copper cockerals. Two Birchen cockerals.

Oh my goodness that sounds amazing!! They will most definitely be well worth the wait! Harvey is an amazing breeder and has been super helpful in giving me advice and getting me geared toward showing. I aspire to have birds as nice as his! :)

He
Oh my goodness that sounds amazing!! They will most definitely be well worth the wait! Harvey is an amazing breeder and has been super helpful in giving me advice and getting me geared toward showing. I aspire to have birds as nice as his! :)
He does have beautiful birds. He is a nice person and very helpful. My Marans are supposed to be here friday. I hope they make it here healthy.

View attachment 1429795
@kfelton0002 here are the pics of the ones with inverted combs. The first pic is of the brown spotted chick. Surprisingly She turned out to be a pullet, but more than that is that her comb grew out of the inversion and is 100% normal. She’s also the one I assisted in the hatching. The second is another pullet and her comb is getting better all the time but I don’t think it will ever grow out of it. The third is my biggest cockerel, and I mean BIG. Love his size but his comb will most likely cull him out.

Edited to correct my post because of the way my pics posted. The first bird pic’ed is really my second bird described in my post.

at that age combs are still changing. I had 3 cockerels with much worse comb at that age. luckily I didn't cull them.

if you want large hens hatch the biggest eggs. size of the chicks depend on the hen /egg only. chooks told me to keep as a breeder the smallest cockerel as he was the best one otherwise and to hatch the biggest eggs only.

your boy is good otherwise than his size. wait to see if his comb will chage.

Back
Top Bottom