International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

my first chick of the new year 2017 has hatched . a blue cuckoo boy . best gift ever .

his 2 hatch mate hatched before 00.00am so they are 2016 chicks .all 3 are from the blue cuckoo cross I m working on .
1 is Black going to grow up as a Birchen .
1 is Blue .will grow to a Blue birchen
1 Blue cuckoo boy stay as a blue cuckoo . what good about him he has a clear beak . and well feathered shanks.

here his photo with his hatch mate .
Guess the photos will be for later .can t post it now

chooks man

my first chick of the new year 2017 has hatched . a blue cuckoo boy . best gift ever .

his 2 hatch mate hatched before 00.00am so they are 2016 chicks .all 3 are from the blue cuckoo cross I m working on .
1 Blue cuckoo boy stay as a blue cuckoo . what good about him he has a clear beak . and well feathered shanks.

chooks man

Hooray for the new year! It is only fitting that are overseer leads the way into a new year haha, we will catch up.
It's only about 14 more hours until we see the new year in the US.

well nice worth all the wait .
nice shape ,form and color .
don t forget to catch a pullet and follow her 30 first egg , she ll be good I recon

all the Best of 2017 , a lot marans chicks

chooks man
Yes I feel good about 2017! It's going to be a great year. I'm looking forward to my first home raised BCM chicks! And Blue Coppers too!

I will watch the LA pullet that has started laying, she has just laid the one egg so far.

Best of luck this year to all the Marans breeders, novice or experienced!

hugs.gif

Last edited:

Nooooo!!! Why did you have to flop your comb babe, why?!
There are worse things than a floppy comb. Like a side sprig or carnation comb. Don't worry too much about it. Just mate him to a nice combed female and it'll be okay. His offspring won't inherit his comb because most genes for comb come from the female in a breeding.

While a floppy comb is a disqualification in a show bird, it doesn't carry forth in a line like the recessive genes of a side sprig as far as I know. Good breeding practices can correct flaws with each generation.

Just because a bird has flaws making him not a good candidate for show, they can still be useful as breeders. Most, if not all of my Marans have some flaw in one way or another. I've tried to cull down to the best, weeding out things like side sprigs, vulture hocks, bad color, wry tails, etc.

Marans are a work in progress. Don't beat yourself up over less than perfect birds. We all have them.

smile.png

Last edited:
Got my 2nd BCM egg today from the LA pen.. it's darker than the first. This one is about a 5, the first was a 4. It is also larger than the first.
big_smile.png

Unfortunately I couldn't get side by side comparison pics of the 1st and 2nd egg because my son got into the fridge and accidentally busted the 1st egg. It was the top egg in the egg bowl.
hit.gif

My LA pullets were born mid May, making them 7.5 months.

chooks man
Congratulations on your first hatch of 2017!
jumpy.gif

My first 2017 hatch will *hopefully* be Cream Legbars from my second set.
fl.gif

Got my 2nd BCM egg today from the LA pen.. it's darker than the first. This one is about a 5, the first was a 4. It is also larger than the first. :D Unfortunately I couldn't get side by side comparison pics of the 1st and 2nd egg because my son got into the fridge and accidentally busted the 1st egg. It was the top egg in the egg bowl. :hit My LA pullets were born mid May, making them 7.5 months.
Very nice egg color!! She's going in the right direction. Congrats!

chooks man

Whoop whoop! Nice work ChooksMan - hope BYC will let you post some pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom