International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I am testing my comb knowledge here to see if I am thinking correctly. Upon looking at Gideon's comb again, I see 6 points.. right? The blade isn't split, the upper part of what I originally thought was the blade is actually another point (point 6). The blade does have a small notch in it, does that still make it a split blade? @Chooks man @RedBanks Is that right?

View attachment 1193637

now I am testing my understanding of comb description: I think there is a small dent in front of your #1. #6 is blade - that is how I see it. I think the blade is not split. I have a cockerel with a split blade and it looks like it is going to fall off some day together with the last dent.

of course I probably am wrong.

now I am testing my understanding of comb description: I think there is a small dent in front of your #1. #6 is blade - that is how I see it. I think the blade is not split. I have a cockerel with a split blade and it looks like it is going to fall off some day together with the last dent.

of course I probably am wrong.

According to the SOP, any part of the comb that is triangular in shape and straight on each side is considered a point. That's what made me think the point at the back is a point and not part of the blade. Of course, that is according to the American SOP which I have to go by in order to show but it is based on the French standard. I am still learning combs, so I may be overthinking it. lol

Wow. I just looked at BCM eggs on eBay. I can’t order up here anyway but, out of all the ads there is MAYBE one that has an even close to decent looking roo. All the others should be classified as barnyard mix, that’s how pitiful they look.

Stay away from ebay eggs. You will get mongrels for sure. I'm sure there are good breeders in Canada. Do you have a Craigslist type website in Canada? Maybe look on a Marans club website based in Canada.

According to the SOP, any part of the comb that is triangular in shape and straight on each side is considered a point. That's what made me think the point at the back is a point and not part of the blade. Of course, that is according to the American SOP which I have to go by in order to show but it is based on the French standard. I am still learning combs, so I may be overthinking it. lol

my brain is too old for learning. luckily we have @Chooks man here.

Wow. I just looked at BCM eggs on eBay. I can’t order up here anyway but, out of all the ads there is MAYBE one that has an even close to decent looking roo. All the others should be classified as barnyard mix, that’s how pitiful they look.
Yes.... sometimes I google BCM just to clarify something in my mind, you tend to go coop blind just looking at your own birds and the one's on this thread are so good I get spoiled. The things we worry so much about right down to a dip in the comb don't seem to phase some breeders.

15bc3727cd3ce32c22bdcbaaf1be67da--thanksgiving-traditions-thanksgiving-funny.jpg

Back
Top Bottom