International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I am setting up my pens. I put the 3 lighter BLCM hens with my BLCM rooster. The one with the funny comb. I am not sure that is the best setup but these are the ones I am sure are solid Bev. I guess we will see what they hatch out. I have been wanting splash.
20171213_092714.jpg 20171213_092017.jpg 20171213_091950.jpg

Well it is official! I just sold my flock of BBS Paul Smith Ameraucanas to make more pens for my Marans. A very nice family with 4 young kids got them. I am glad they went to a good home. A little bitter sweet. I still have one pen with 5 Self Blue Ameraucanas. To add a little color to my egg basket. Marans are my first love and never know I may in the future add a few Birchen. If I can find a good start on them. Right now I have 4 pens for my Marans. I do have 2- 4ft x 8ft chicken tractors I can use for a few chicks. My flock went from 38 to 28. :rolleyes: I don't know when the last time I had this few chickens! Quick I need to hatch something!!!! ;) :lol: :lau :jumpy

Well it is official! I just sold my flock of BBS Paul Smith Ameraucanas to make more pens for my Marans. A very nice family with 4 young kids got them. I am glad they went to a good home. A little bitter sweet. I still have one pen with 5 Self Blue Ameraucanas. To add a little color to my egg basket. Marans are my first love and never know I may in the future add a few Birchen. If I can find a good start on them. Right now I have 4 pens for my Marans. I do have 2- 4ft x 8ft chicken tractors I can use for a few chicks. My flock went from 38 to 28. :rolleyes: I don't know when the last time I had this few chickens! Quick I need to hatch something!!!! ;) :lol: :lau :jumpy
I did the exact same thing last year. I kept one Ameraucana, hence the blue egg you see in my pics but I just love the Marans. For one thing...... they are a whole lot quieter than the Ameraucanas. We run in a parallel chicken experience! LOL

I did the exact same thing last year. I kept one Ameraucana, hence the blue egg you see in my pics but I just love the Marans. For one thing...... they are a whole lot quieter than the Ameraucanas. We run in a parallel chicken experience! LOL
Now we both need a few Birchen/Blue Birchen!!! ;) I was looking at greenfire farms but $59 a chick. I might be able to get like 4 and hope for a pullet. I think I will look around.

The cold has kept us on our toes and set us back some but I managed to hatch two of Apollo and Zanitta's chicks so I am thrilled about that. I have been looking forward to them. They are banded with blue zip ties in the pics temporarily.

I am also excited to see my first F1 blue barred Olive Egger! She is the little blue chick in the pics with Apollo and Zanitta's two babies. :D

I only took pics of my favorite 3 out of this hatch but I hatched over a dozen OE's, one black copper and one blue copper from Maximus and Lucille, a Legbar cockerel and pullet, and several Games. Not one of Gideon x Gretchen's eggs hatched so that is frustrating.

20180107_113905.jpg
20180107_113913.jpg

20180107_113925.jpg

Now we both need a few Birchen/Blue Birchen!!! ;) I was looking at greenfire farms but $59 a chick. I might be able to get like 4 and hope for a pullet. I think I will look around.
I live 45 minutes from Greenfire. I have bought many chicks from them including Jill Rees CL. Did you check out the rare breed auction? Sometimes Greenfire has great prices on the auction site.

I live 45 minutes from Greenfire. I have bought many chicks from them including Jill Rees CL. Did you check out the rare breed auction? Sometimes Greenfire has great prices on the auction site.
I did look at the auction yesterday no marans on there. I don't even think GF has any Birchen available now. Edited: Greenfire farm does have them on the available list.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom