International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Now we both need a few Birchen/Blue Birchen!!! ;) I was looking at greenfire farms but $59 a chick. I might be able to get like 4 and hope for a pullet. I think I will look around.

Marchick,

Harvey Moore has some nice Birchen Marans and Silver Blue Cuckoo Marans. He raises several varieties and is working on Columbian Marans. His Facebook Page is HD Quality Marans. I think he is in Missouri or Kansas.

Jay Brenneman with Sandhills Poultry in Iowa also has some nice Birchen Marans. He too raises several Marans Varities. His Facebook Page is Sand Hills Poultry and website is Sand Hill Preservation Center.

Both are small operations so it may take some time for them to respond to an inquiry as they are geared up for breeding season.

Keith

Marchick,

Harvey Moore has some nice Birchen Marans and Silver Blue Cuckoo Marans. He raises several varieties and is working on Columbian Marans. His Facebook Page is HD Quality Marans. I think he is in Missouri or Kansas.

Jay Brenneman with Sandhills Poultry in Iowa also has some nice Birchen Marans. He too raises several Marans Varities. His Facebook Page is Sand Hills Poultry and website is Sand Hill Preservation Center.

Both are small operations so it may take some time for them to respond to an inquiry as they are geared up for breeding season.

Keith
Thank you, I will check them out!

@Chooks man Is it not a good idea to use a really big egg as a hatching egg? I mean is it not good like, using too small of an egg is? I have a Marans pullet (almost 7 months old now)laying consistent 78g (2.8oz)eggs & they haven’t been double yolkers so farThank you

very good question .
marans hens should lay a larger eggs 70g or plus .
you are alright .if the egg is too large than it is very hard to hatch them .they need very low humidity to incubate them .
I hatch the large eggs all the time 70/78g ( 50% hatch rate )

your case is different . your is a pullets and she is laying those extra large egg .so they should hatch easily because they come from a pullets .high fertility and youth vigor .

the extra large eggs do very well if incubated under a broody hen .it is a reason the marans hens where selected for those trait long time ago before the incubator .
now we are using the botor and we are selecting the smaller eggs 65g to incubate because they have a high hatch rate .

I m keeping by large egg layer hens and breeding from them . very important trait .

the best size for the incubator is 65g for a high hatch rate .Study done by Cobb s the commercial broilers breeders .

chooks man

PS .I m breeding as well a marans broody line just for this purpose .

The cold has kept us on our toes and set us back some but I managed to hatch two of Apollo and Zanitta's chicks so I am thrilled about that. I have been looking forward to them. They are banded with blue zip ties in the pics temporarily.

I am also excited to see my first F1 blue barred Olive Egger! She is the little blue chick in the pics with Apollo and Zanitta's two babies. :D

I only took pics of my favorite 3 out of this hatch but I hatched over a dozen OE's, one black copper and one blue copper from Maximus and Lucille, a Legbar cockerel and pullet, and several Games. Not one of Gideon x Gretchen's eggs hatched so that is frustrating.

View attachment 1229584 View attachment 1229586
View attachment 1229589

great news. you managed to get the F2 from your BCM line .going in the right direction .
correct hatch down and type .love they fluffy legs .

chooks man

I am setting up my pens. I put the 3 lighter BLCM hens with my BLCM rooster. The one with the funny comb. I am not sure that is the best setup but these are the ones I am sure are solid Bev. I guess we will see what they hatch out. I have been wanting splash.
View attachment 1228742View attachment 1228746View attachment 1228747

I like this pairing . great breeding pen .you ll get a good splash from them .
I love a splash.

expect great chicks will hatch from a Funny comb rooster ( can you mane him well please)
here few name s for him if you want . Big Blue / Blue Storm / Blue Elvis / Zorttan

chooks man

I like this pairing . great breeding pen .you ll get a good splash from them .
I love a splash.

expect great chicks will hatch from a Funny comb rooster ( can you mane him well please)
here few name s for him if you want . Big Blue / Blue Storm / Blue Elvis / Zorttan

chooks man
He has a name Thor! My BCM Rooster is Loki! You know the good looking Dark sided type. Hulk is the BLCM with less light gray shades. Hawk is the BLCM with the light gray shade in his tail and a white toe feather. Chooks Man, How did I do?

Thank you so much @Chooks man for all the great info. I think I’ll slip some under my momma hen next time she goes broody

very good question .
marans hens should lay a larger eggs 70g or plus .
you are alright .if the egg is too large than it is very hard to hatch them .they need very low humidity to incubate them .
I hatch the large eggs all the time 70/78g ( 50% hatch rate )

your case is different . your is a pullets and she is laying those extra large egg .so they should hatch easily because they come from a pullets .high fertility and youth vigor .

the extra large eggs do very well if incubated under a broody hen .it is a reason the marans hens where selected for those trait long time ago before the incubator .
now we are using the botor and we are selecting the smaller eggs 65g to incubate because they have a high hatch rate .

I m keeping by large egg layer hens and breeding from them . very important trait .

the best size for the incubator is 65g for a high hatch rate .Study done by Cobb s the commercial broilers breeders .

chooks man

PS .I m breeding as well a marans broody line just for this purpose .
hank

Marchick,

Keith
I got in touch with Harvey Moore. I am getting 4 pullets and 2 cockerals. around 4 weeks old. I hope a couple will be Blue Birchen. It depends on if he has them available. He said it would be around March. Thank you, Keith

I did the exact same thing last year. I kept one Ameraucana, hence the blue egg you see in my pics but I just love the Marans. For one thing...... they are a whole lot quieter than the Ameraucanas. We run in a parallel chicken experience! LOL
Yep, Now you need to find some Birchen. I just put a order in for some. We need to keep the parallel chicken experience going. ;) I will be waiting to here that you are getting Birchen.:popPlease don't make me wait till I am this old. :old

Back
Top Bottom