International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I have broken up all my breeding pens and let the hens out for a little summer break to free range as I always do. Today I noticed I was missing Lucille at feeding time. As I looked around I found a big pile of her pretty blue feathers. She was taken by a varmint. The feathers weren't in the coop so it happened in the daytime. Probably a hawk. Her light blue feathers probably made her stand out more than the others. :(

Our GP's are fenced on one end of our property and the birds were free ranging on the unfenced part. Loss is part of it, but it never fails to be one of your favorites when you lose a bird.
Are you serious, not Lucille. She was gorgeous, damn critters!!

I have broken up all my breeding pens and let the hens out for a little summer break to free range as I always do. Today I noticed I was missing Lucille at feeding time. As I looked around I found a big pile of her pretty blue feathers. She was taken by a varmint. The feathers weren't in the coop so it happened in the daytime. Probably a hawk. Her light blue feathers probably made her stand out more than the others. :(

Our GP's are fenced on one end of our property and the birds were free ranging on the unfenced part. Loss is part of it, but it never fails to be one of your favorites when you lose a bird.
So sorry to hear this

So sorry! :hugs

How much copper should hens have?...

I think this is one of those attributes that each breeder can decide for themselves, within certain parameters, and is one thing that can make a line unique - you'll know who the breeder is by what the specific attributes are. I personally like a moderate amount of color. My best hen has good copper hackle, but my best pullet has very little. I am hoping to get the offspring of my pullet close to what her mother looked like, color-wise.

Not enough color:
20180606_180918.jpg

Just a bit too much:
20180606_181226.jpg

Just right:
a1.jpg

View attachment 1418000@Magnolia Hill
I think it was @Tiegrsi who posted a white tipped pullet? Well I got one too. That girl in front. Love her size and shape so far so hoping she feathers out nice.

Yes, I have one right now growing out. It's either a girl with a large comb or a boy with a light colored one. They're at that stage now where there are some boys who are VERY obvious with their huge red combs, and some who appear to be overgrown pullets. Lol.

Loss is part of it, but it never fails to be one of your favorites when you lose a bird.

The best ones are always the first ones to go... So sorry for your loss, hun. :(

Last edited:
I think this is one of those attributes that each breeder can decide for themselves, within certain parameters, and is one thing that can make a line unique - you'll know who the breeder is by what the specific attributes are. I personally like a moderate amount of color. My best hen has good copper hackle, but my best pullet has very little. I am hoping to get the offspring of my pullet close to what her mother looked like, color-wise.

Not enough color:
View attachment 1420212

Just a bit too much:
View attachment 1420214

Just right:
View attachment 1420218
Thank you! :)

So sorry to hear this

The best ones are always the first ones to go... So sorry for your loss, hun. :(

So sorry! :hugs
Are you serious, not Lucille. She was gorgeous, damn critters!!

:(:(It's always the favorites that have to go, isn't it? Sorry

Thank you all! I have been kicking myself for not keeping her penned up but I wanted her to be able to enjoy the summer with the others.

I had planned on mating her best son to her and now I will have to revise my plans for fall/spring. I still have her blue copper offspring and a couple black coppers from her so I will work on the line with them. They are free ranging also as that is how we have always cared for our grow outs. We let grow outs free range because from my experience they are bigger and healthier that way. They stay close to the house though and have plenty of cover. Damn critters is right @Magnolia Hill :mad:.

C'est la vie.

sorry for your loss.

Thank you all! I have been kicking myself for not keeping her penned up but I wanted her to be able to enjoy the summer with the others.

I had planned on mating her best son to her and now I will have to revise my plans for fall/spring. I still have her blue copper offspring and a couple black coppers from her so I will work on the line with them. They are free ranging also as that is how we have always cared for our grow outs. We let grow outs free range because from my experience they are bigger and healthier that way. They stay close to the house though and have plenty of cover. Damn critters is right @Magnolia Hill :mad:.

C'est la vie.
Call me shelby, we are all friends here. I can't belive she's gone. I drool over the pictures of her, i know how bad it sucks to loose your top breeders. I lost my prized cream legbar rooster to a damn varmint and i still haven't bounced back. I got beautiful hens but no way to breed forward, ive had a hard time finding one to say the least.

Call me shelby, we are all friends here. I can't belive she's gone. I drool over the pictures of her, i know how bad it sucks to loose your top breeders. I lost my prized cream legbar rooster to a damn varmint and i still haven't bounced back. I got beautiful hens but no way to breed forward, ive had a hard time finding one to say the least.

Okay Shelby it is! :) Yes it was a rather frustrating blow for me to lose her but hopefully her offspring turn out to be nice enough to breed. I hate to hear that about your Cream Legbar rooster! It never fails that a varmint will leave the layers and culls, and take the best birds you own.

I have quite a few Legbar cockerel grow outs right now and only plan on keeping one or two. I may be able to help you out with one in a few months when they're old enough to evaluate. They are young now, ranging in age from 1-3 months but if you dont find one before then you would be welcome to one. :)

Back
Top Bottom