International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

she look to me over colored birchen or Blue golden salmon .
if she is a sister to the cockerel than both of them are Blue golden salmon.

test mating is the only way to know the true genetic make up of any chook .

she is nice .

chooks man

she is not related to the cockerel. she had a sister who was more over coloured, and more reddish/salmon. their dam was similar colour and sire black/red. I don't remember if he had a golden triangle on his wings (he probably had). he is still alive and my friend has him. I can check it if it will help.

she is not related to the cockerel. she had a sister who was more over coloured, and more reddish/salmon. their dam was similar colour and sire black/red. I don't remember if he had a golden triangle on his wings (he probably had). he is still alive and my friend has him. I can check it if it will help.

she look to me a over coloured birchen.

chooks man

@marchick

here the method you should use if you want to breed your Blue Birchen ,I think you should .they are great birds .no much work is needed to get them 100% perfect .

Step one=work with both your cockerels .and 2 pens .

Pen1= old cockerel { Need Name } mate him to the 2 Birchen pullets and a Silver cuckoo pullet..you ll get nice pullets and cockerels .most of them will be well marked with a pure silver.
Pen 2 = Young cockerel mate him to your Blue Birchen pullets .

Step 2 = after you hatch a good number of chicks from both pen ,SWAP the rooster .the older will go to pen2 and the youngest will go to pen 1 . hatch a god number of chicks and select the best one .

if you do I m telling to do you ll have a correct Birchen marans Blue and Black correct in all aspect in no time . your chooks don t have many fault as flock .

let me know if you are interested and I ll explain to you more different steps of breeding

chooks man
Would you please go into more detail on the whole process. I am still a little foggy on step 2. Are you saying to pick out one cockerel?

Would you please go into more detail on the whole process. I am still a little foggy on step 2. Are you saying to pick out one cockerel?

if I understood well, you will have 2 pens, 1 roo in each. step 2: you keep those 2 pens, just swap the roos, the roo from pen 1 goes to the pen 2 and vice versa. the girls will remain in the same pens.

if I understood well, you will have 2 pens, 1 roo in each. step 2: you keep those 2 pens, just swap the roos, the roo from pen 1 goes to the pen 2 and vice versa. the girls will remain in the same pens.

yeah that correct chickengr.
2 pens and 2 roo. result will be 2 different progeny from each roo . one of each pen.4 in total .
select the best cockerels and pullets from each progeny ,and breed from them next year .

chooks man

I understood that part but didn't understand the keep one part. What do I do after hatching from the two pens and switching roosters and hatching more. Thank you for your help.

I understood that part but didn't understand the keep one part. What do I do after hatching from the two pens and switching roosters and hatching more. Thank you for your help.

by swapping the roo ,you end up with 4 different but related progeny . select the best one and pair them together ,forming 2 or more pens ,from a same line .
Example .
Pen1 Roo1 X Black Birchen = P1A cockerels and pullets .select the best one and keep .
Pen 1 Roo 2 X Black Birchen = P1B ,cockerels and pullets . select the best one and keep .

Pen 2 Roo 1 X Blue Birchen = P2A select the best cockerel and pullets and kkep
Pen 2 Roo2 X Blue Birchen = P2B select the best cockerel and pullets .

next year you end up with 4 different combination from the 2 pens.
you can pen together the pullets from P1A plus pullets from P2A with cockerel P1B and P2B
Pen2 = pullets P1B plus pullets P2B with cockerel P1A and P2A.

always work with 2 cockerel in one pen in one season . it is better to have 2 different progeny from a same pen . the hens always stay together as one flock ,only the rooster will be moved in and out the pen .

chooks man

by swapping the roo ,you end up with 4 different but related progeny . select the best one and pair them together ,forming 2 or more pens ,from a same line .
Example .
Pen1 Roo1 X Black Birchen = P1A cockerels and pullets .select the best one and keep .
Pen 1 Roo 2 X Black Birchen = P1B ,cockerels and pullets . select the best one and keep .

Pen 2 Roo 1 X Blue Birchen = P2A select the best cockerel and pullets and kkep
Pen 2 Roo2 X Blue Birchen = P2B select the best cockerel and pullets .

next year you end up with 4 different combination from the 2 pens.
you can pen together the pullets from P1A plus pullets from P2A with cockerel P1B and P2B
Pen2 = pullets P1B plus pullets P2B with cockerel P1A and P2A.

always work with 2 cockerel in one pen in one season . it is better to have 2 different progeny from a same pen . the hens always stay together as one flock ,only the rooster will be moved in and out the pen .

chooks man

I guess that way we avoid breeding full siblings. it is important to mark differently chicks from each pen.

The lovely Shazia was happy to model a few photos, so why not share?
View attachment 1619768
0E220F0B-1928-4B3A-AFBA-2DF53F592AF0.jpeg

9C2D9B67-0DC8-4E37-9FED-A04FB3D4092C.jpeg

CA7D824C-1456-49DC-9412-D774B2877C19.jpeg

(We has to go through and trim wings due to some escape artists, and she was one of them. Can’t remember which side is cut)

Back
Top Bottom