International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

This is what it looks like here. Mine have been mating, the eggs just aren't all hatching.

View attachment 1657836 View attachment 1657837

wow I was not talking about that sort of winter . if they stay alive and healthy is a great plus .
I ll wait tell the spring if I was you .I let them take a longer break ,so in the spring they fertility will be very high .
the winter I was talking about is the Australian one .15 D Celcus day time and 5/2 D C night time . we only see snow in the TV .
your chooks will need more than Vitamins to get fertile in that sort of weather .I think they need a worm blanket and a heater .Hahahaaaaaaaaaa

chooks man

wow I was not talking about that sort of winter . if they stay alive and healthy is a great plus .
I ll wait tell the spring if I was you .I let them take a longer break ,so in the spring they fertility will be very high .
the winter I was talking about is the Australian one .15 D Celcus day time and 5/2 D C night time . we only see snow in the TV .
your chooks will need more than Vitamins to get fertile in that sort of weather .I think they need a worm blanket and a heater .Hahahaaaaaaaaaa

chooks man

Lol, they're plenty warm and used to it. Even the silkies and Seramas are doing good but they're all in their pens with plastic around the runs to block the wind. Eggs are fertile and developing just not hatching so I think you were right before about needing some vitamins (just the Marans, the other breeds are hatching great). Today, temps are supposed to drop to Arctic temps. It's 7° F now and expected to drop to -5° F with wind-chills of -30-35. I'm not looking forward to that lol.

I just hatched my first batch. Ended up with about 20 Marans chicks! I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I've switched to a no corn no soy formula with fish meal as the main protein source. Since it's only 15% protein I add in a scoop of field peas which are 23% protein and sometimes cat food or approved leftovers from the table. They also get thorvin seaweed. They get a flake of Mostly grass hay(with a bit of alfalfa, it's horse Hay) to dig around in since they hate going out in winter here. Mostly I got blue silvers(birchen) this go!

Hopefully I can sell a few to defray costs lol.

It's definitely winter in Montana.

I had a gal ask me what blue birchen crossed with Wheaton. Might yield. I have not been studying Wheaton so I'm not sure what color that might get other than possible blue genetics.

It's actually been a pretty mild winter for my area of Montana. Usually we get at least one week of -40° in January, but it's only gotten down to maaaaybe -5? Fun fact- -40° is the same in Celsius and farenheit! The mountains blocked this year's Arctic blast and it went east of us. Lucky me! Minnesota never catches a break.

It's actually been a pretty mild winter for my area of Montana. Usually we get at least one week of -40° in January, but it's only gotten down to maaaaybe -5? Fun fact- -40° is the same in Celsius and farenheit! The mountains blocked this year's Arctic blast and it went east of us. Lucky me! Minnesota never catches a break.

That's why I will never live in Minnesota lol

The fertility started off great the first couple hatches (December and early January) but then dropped off suddenly. They're fertile and developed, just not hatching. Maybe because of the cold weather and when I collect them, they're weaker? I don't know. I've been contemplating selling off my Marans flock. As much as I love the chocolate eggs and as popular as they are, I'm just not falling in love with the birds themselves.

I got marans because of the eggs. now I don't care that much about the eggs but I like the chickens, especially the roos. they are so docile and friendly.

I just hatched my first batch. Ended up with about 20 Marans chicks! I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I've switched to a no corn no soy formula with fish meal as the main protein source. Since it's only 15% protein I add in a scoop of field peas which are 23% protein and sometimes cat food or approved leftovers from the table. They also get thorvin seaweed. They get a flake of Mostly grass hay(with a bit of alfalfa, it's horse Hay) to dig around in since they hate going out in winter here. Mostly I got blue silvers(birchen) this go!

Hopefully I can sell a few to defray costs lol.

It's definitely winter in Montana.

I had a gal ask me what blue birchen crossed with Wheaton. Might yield. I have not been studying Wheaton so I'm not sure what color that might get other than possible blue genetics.

Blue Birchen cross Wheaten is not a good one .does not yield any thing in particular except a Silver wheaten after a few generation of selective breeding .

chooks man

I finally managed to take some pics of my greek hooded chickens. here is my rich gene pool boy. he has a trace of barring next to his comb, incomplete colombian and who-knows-what on his wings:
5.JPG
7.JPG
6.JPG

and the girls:
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
8.JPG

The fertility started off great the first couple hatches (December and early January) but then dropped off suddenly. They're fertile and developed, just not hatching. Maybe because of the cold weather and when I collect them, they're weaker? I don't know. I've been contemplating selling off my Marans flock. As much as I love the chocolate eggs and as popular as they are, I'm just not falling in love with the birds themselves.
Sorry to hear you are thinking about getting out of Marans. I have been there myself. I have to say I love my Marans. I was not pleased with the ones I use to have but absolutely love the ones I have now. The ones I had before had different health issues. The eggs where not very good. I had never seen eggs with so much blood and meat spots in them. I know blood and meat spots are common in Marans eggs. They where excessive I couldn't even give the eggs away. All these things plus the yellow legs. I decided to start over. My new line so far have been much healthier and no blood or meat spots. They have been laying up a storm which is pretty rare for Marans and the egg color is still pretty good. Sorry for rambling! Anyways I for one would miss you if you got out of Marans.

Back
Top Bottom