International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Get a pellet rifle and shoot the dog so it learns to stay away. No harm to the dog.. just gets the point across.

There was a dog from down the road that killed many many chickens this year before we got the culprit on camera. We warned the neighbor that if the dog came back we would shoot to kill. She hasn't been back since. The guy got rid of her. Poor dog but it is what it is.
Nothing wrong with protecting your valued birds. They certainly can't defend themselves.

Chooks man, I have heard different things on breeding Black Copper to Splash Copper. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you!

I only breed splash copper between them selves .I do not cross them to any Black copper neither Blue copper ,because with splash copper we can not see a marking plus most of a splash copper carries the parasitic white ,same as a white strain .

breeding a Black copper over a Blue copper hens is the best way to work with .

chooks man

Here are the two Black Copper chicks.They will be 3 weeks in a couple days. 1st picture still leaning Black Copper cockerel. 2nd picture Black Copper pullet. Third and fourth pictures are of one Blue Copper and one Black Copper. I wrote in my book the tag numbers and what color. I think it will be difficult to tell when they are older.

20190511_160634.jpg 20190511_160558.jpg 20190511_160047.jpg 20190511_160053.jpg

Hello all! I received my marans chicks from a breeder in March this year. I have 2 blue copper cockerels, 1 blue copper pullet, 2 bcm cockerels and 3 bcm pullets.
Husband and I are building our new coop which has 3 separate flock areas. Question is this.... should I keep 1 bcm male with the bcm females and let the blues live with my mixed flock? Or should I put my blue female in with the black females also? I haven't decided yet which cockerel to breed with yet as they are still quite young and need to grow.
Thank you

Hello all! I received my marans chicks from a breeder in March this year. I have 2 blue copper cockerels, 1 blue copper pullet, 2 bcm cockerels and 3 bcm pullets.
Husband and I are building our new coop which has 3 separate flock areas. Question is this.... should I keep 1 bcm male with the bcm females and let the blues live with my mixed flock? Or should I put my blue female in with the black females also? I haven't decided yet which cockerel to breed with yet as they are still quite young and need to grow.
Thank you
Hello! Glad you decided to join us! Congratulations on your Marans. We are always up for Marans pictures. Please feel free to share. I do know it is best to use a Black Copper over Black Copper or Blue Copper. That's where I am at now. I have Blue Copper X Blue Copper and it's not the best. I am working on getting a Black Copper Cockerel for my breeding program. I am learning also. Chooks man is our pro on here and I am sure he will chime in. There are several people on here that are willing to help and have been working with Marans a while. :)

Thank you

Taking into account what @Chooks man just posted I would lean towards not using the blue cock IF your black cock grows up nicely. But- I wouldn’t be afraid to use a nicely built blue cock. Most of the blues I have seen have a more straw colored copper and I like that rich dark copper. Do you have more pullets? I put my blue over a CLB and got olive eggers I could sex at hatch. Share pics!

Taking into account what @Chooks man just posted I would lean towards not using the blue cock IF your black cock grows up nicely. But- I wouldn’t be afraid to use a nicely built blue cock. Most of the blues I have seen have a more straw colored copper and I like that rich dark copper. Do you have more pullets? I put my blue over a CLB and got olive eggers I could sex at hatch. Share pics!
Yes, my intention is to use one of the black cockerels, not one of the blues, in the pen with the girls. Just wanted to know if I should put my blue female in that pen also.
I'll try to get pictures this morning

Yes, my intention is to use one of the black cockerels, not one of the blues, in the pen with the girls. Just wanted to know if I should put my blue female in that pen also.
I'll try to get pictures this morning

yes pen all the pullets together Black and blue ,use a Black copper cockerel over them to get a good result .
first let them do some growing than when time come .select the best cockerel to work with .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom