International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

She's ten years old this week.
P2242626.JPG

welcome to the thread .
very nice BCM . your rooster look solid and heavy .love his comb .and body pattern

what is they story ?
chooks man
We got them from Marans in France, A breeding pair and later, eggs shipped from the same breeder. These are French Black Marans. The Maranians don't use the term BCM although I believe the European standard for the breed does.
The American standard has been bred to show more colour in the hackles and slightly sleeker body shape. The tail feathers tend to be in more of a narrow fan while the French Marans from Marans have more of a clump.

She's ten years old this week.
View attachment 2034625

Does she still lay an egg once in a while? She's a very pretty girl.:love

I have a few older hens 6-7 years old. They still lay a few eggs in spring. I love the older girls. They know usually know how to turn cockerels into gentlemen and seem to teach the pullets what they need to know. They will always have a place in my flock.

Does she still lay an egg once in a while? She's a very pretty girl.:love

I have a few older hens 6-7 years old. They still lay a few eggs in spring. I love the older girls. They know usually know how to turn cockerels into gentlemen and seem to teach the pullets what they need to know. They will always have a place in my flock.
I think she laid 7 or 8 eggs last year and even tried to sit and hatch. Unfortunately she's not what would describe as a delicate hen and she broke the four eggs she had.
I don't care if she never lays another egg. The French Marans are not prolific layers anyway, at least not the locally bred Marans.
the chickens here live in tribes (small family groups of a rooster and 3 or 4 hens)
She is the head of her tribe.

View attachment 2034621
@kfelton0002

she is long .
she is deep
she is wide
she has the best head and comb , she will add strength to your comb breeding program .
her Blue could be more uniform ,but perfect lacing .
BRAVO AGAIN AND AGAIN .

now I have seen Dukes progeny . I know why he is special to you .keep him safe and fit . you will need him in the future for some back crossing for sure . just to lock that lovely body type .
chooks man

Thank you! Im glad you like her! I am hoping she pairs well with Dark Halo. :)

View attachment 2034618
@kfelton0002
yellow band .look exactly like a BCM pullet in French marans books . long flat back with a small thin tail but full @ the base .

I really really like her .I like them all but her she remind me of specific type . that why her type was in the book . old school solid farm hen .

BRAVO AGAIN .
chooks man

She is my favorite as well! She was free ranging and I have been keeping an eye oh her. Thank you! :)

View attachment 2034613
@kfelton0002
004 .is stunning . her comb need some strength . ever thing else is SOP.
you bred this beauty with all the challenges you had with your life plus a luck of time .
I wonder what you really can do if you have more time .
you understood what a marans chooks should looks like . great eyes . BRAVO

chooks man

Thank you! That is very kind of you to say. Knowing that you approve of my picks for breeders reassures me. 004 is a very large and sturdy pullet. She lays a large speckled egg as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom