International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

While I was sitting here typing on the thread the fox came again. My dog has learned the difference between panicked chicken sounds and the egg songs. He was running around the house, he wanted out. He chased another fox away. Good to hear from you Chooks man. I am so glad you are still here. I have 13 hens and one rooster, Antonio's son Julio. I actually wanted to ask for some advice. I am thinking about cutting back on the hens while they are in lockdown. My hens are smaller now. Is that because the flock has been closed since the beginning? I still have some of my older hens, they are still laying. I am not sure what to do. I don't have any glaring faults just the usual, oh except those terrible high tails. I need to start again, I would like to start again with these birds. Perhaps you will be able to decipher what I am trying to ask.

they are smaller .mean they lost mass ?
if you still have some of the original hens than is not too bad .you can breed them to Jolio.
if you want to fix the tail in your flock you have to ask @kfelton0002 { we haven t see her for a white .must be super busy with what going on now } she have line of Good tail marans . @marchick as well .good line ..

very good your dog can make a difference between the eggs laying noise and panic noise .
keep the chooks safe .

me I restarted all new last year .sold the old line and now have all new blood line .got some of my old line back { out crossed to other lines } well happy about it ,

chooks man

I lost both Lilly and Rose that I got last fall. Very bad! I only have the one longer tail BC pullet left. I did put a hand full of eggs from the pen with the original rooster and one of the hens in with him that lay that nice egg. I was hoping for a BC pullet. I don't know if that would help or not.

very bad .both going .
the original rooster with a blue copper hen ,you should get a BC chicks from them .
if you want a BC .than breed Blaze to all you BLC hens .one pen many hens { all your hens are good } and hatch one big hatch .you will have better chance ,just BC and BLC no splash .

chooks man

they are smaller .mean they lost mass ?
if you still have some of the original hens than is not too bad .you can breed them to Jolio.
if you want to fix the tail in your flock you have to ask @kfelton0002 { we haven t see her for a white .must be super busy with what going on now } she have line of Good tail marans . @marchick as well .good line ..

very good your dog can make a difference between the eggs laying noise and panic noise .
keep the chooks safe .

me I restarted all new last year .sold the old line and now have all new blood line .got some of my old line back { out crossed to other lines } well happy about it ,

chooks man
Yes.... there are some smaller hens. I guess the questions I have can only be answered by me.
I am struggling with parting with some of my hens because I can never get these lines again and what if I lose the few I decide to keep. Will inbreeding cause the line to deteriorate? In size, vigor, etc. Antonio was out with the hens so I could put some eggs in the incubator the hens should still be able to lay eggs fertilized by Antonio.
I am glad to here you have chickens again. Do you have a new farm? Did you get more Cream Legbars? Do you have a new favorite breed?

Chooksman, I have eggs due to hatch on the 16th and 23rd. I have a few eggs from original hen pearl and blaze in the Incubator. I think I will move her in with Nimbus and hatch from them. I am going to wait and see how many hatch from her eggs before moving her over.

very bad .both going .
the original rooster with a blue copper hen ,you should get a BC chicks from them .
if you want a BC .than breed Blaze to all you BLC hens .one pen many hens { all your hens are good } and hatch one big hatch .you will have better chance ,just BC and BLC no splash .

chooks man
Right now all eggs in Incubator are from Ruby, Jade and Pearl.

Yes.... there are some smaller hens. I guess the questions I have can only be answered by me.
I am struggling with parting with some of my hens because I can never get these lines again and what if I lose the few I decide to keep. Will inbreeding cause the line to deteriorate? In size, vigor, etc. Antonio was out with the hens so I could put some eggs in the incubator the hens should still be able to lay eggs fertilized by Antonio.
I am glad to here you have chickens again. Do you have a new farm? Did you get more Cream Legbars? Do you have a new favorite breed?

keep you line just add to it .get some fertile eggs from line with good tail and mix them up .
for the chooks to lose vigor they have to be inbred for a long time . some time if the hatch is small ,there is not enough genetic expression .
I think you should incubate the eggs from your hens .they will be fertile for a week after Antonio .

no I don t have a farm now .my chooks are on my friend place . my old place .
chooks I have now are better quality than the old lines .more purity .less variation .
yeah still have CLB from my old line . small rooster plus he is they full brother . so I bred CLB hens to 2 of my Marans rooster { have a look @ Jose s Marneck chooks thread }

I m working on the Red Marans now .sublime pair ,hatched a lot of chicks from them 15 or more .all stunning .there pair did not produce any culls .all stunning and correct ,well happy about them

chooks man

I can move the other two Blcm in with Blaze and hatch from them later. I can also move Pearl in with Nimbus and no name the long tail BC. Let's call her Violet. What do you think is best to do?

if you can do that .than it is great .you will have progeny from all your hens .
pen Violet with Blaze ,so you can get 100% BC { love the name by the way }

good luck
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom