International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

blood in they dropping is a sign of coccidiosis .
it is very risky not to feed a chicks medicated feed . I will no do that .
if you are not going to feed them medicated feed than you have to feed them a lot of boiled eggs and a lot of green .Apple cider Vinegar from day 21 after they hatch .

diana is fighting some internal parasites for sure .

chooks man

I agree 100% with Chooksman! Medicated feed is the way to go until the baby chooks build up their immune systems.

I agree 100% with Chooksman! Medicated feed is the way to go until the baby chooks build up their immune systems.
@chooksman @kcrandall
I will keep this in mind going forward. Thank you both for your advice. Little Diana continues to eat, drink and respond to my voice with chirping. I can't express how over the moon happy this makes me!

@chooksman @kcrandall
I will keep this in mind going forward. Thank you both for your advice. Little Diana continues to eat, drink and respond to my voice with chirping. I can't express how over the moon happy this makes me!

you welcome .
I ll explain some thing to you . the chicks come to us packed in fertile eggs.
the chicks when they hatch they are as healthy as they parents . so if they parent had a health problem ,than the chicks will get sick for sure .
if the parent stock are healthy ,they will give healthy chicks .

last breeding season I hatched 760 chicks ,half of these chicks come from my breeders chooks ,the other half come from different breeders .
chicks hatched from my stock ,very low mortality .some pairs I haven t lost any of they chicks . Day Walker X Unicorn .all they chicks still healthy and a live . did not loose one chick .
Ah chicks from other peoples is a different story . some line all the chicks died { birchen line over 90 chicks hatched none left all died .
other line I lost most of them , all sort of health problem .

most peoples do no prepare they breeders stock .they just collect eggs and sale them . very bad .

chooks man

There are alternative choices. I do not feed medicated feed. The feed I use is Poulin Grain it has Yucca extract in it. Excellent feed! I have not had any issues.
37D6FFC0-692D-48AC-A69C-7B4C1F4F13EB.jpeg

yes .time will tell .
I put my money on Dark Angel . we only have to deal dark eyes .more easier to breed out . plus I just love his priceless copper .

chooks man

I agree! Dark eyes I can deal with. I will take it a year at a time and not stress to bad about it.

Dark Angel is looking pretty good despite the molt. I am setting what few eggs I am getting from his pen. I had moved all the girls to one pen with a plan on giving them a break from the males. Then they picked back up laying a bit so I put Dark Angel in with all of them. I am setting what eggs I am getting as a last effort to raise a few more this year. Not single mated, but better than nothing.

20200922_131528.jpg
20200922_131626.jpg
20200922_131628.jpg

Well I am not sure if it’s a good thing or not. One of my new FBCM Pullets is broody already. I don’t think she even gave me 15 eggs yet. I do really enjoy have the hens raise the chicks so for me personally I love it when I do not have to do any of the work. I can just sit back and let mama do her thing.
View attachment 2344223

Marans are one of the broodiest breeds I have ever dealt with. They rank right up there with Games! My Games are big time broodies but I swear the Marans have topped them this year. They are a pain in the butt! Lol

Unfortunately my experience with my Marans is that they are clumsy mothers. They step on the chicks and don't seem to do a very good job at keeping them gathered up when free ranged. I would rather hatch them and brood them myself than deal with the disappointment I get when a hen loses an entire clutch of important chicks. If I am going to have to pen a hen up with chicks then I might as well brood them myself without the hen so she can keep laying. I break all broodies up. I hope your pullet does a better job than my Marans hens have with chicks.

Back
Top Bottom