International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

The other 2 from this line #1 both have vulture hocks then.
You predicted this early on.
So we will eat these two.

I now understand why we should hatch so many eggs from a pair. So few are chosen for breeding purposes.

I will say, im not naming chooks any more until after selections are made. Naming them early really sucks when you are making stew out of them...

So if i use Negan as a breeder, i need to look out for parasitic white because he was so light at hatch and vulture hocks because 2 of his brothers had them.
Is this correct?
These faults are very hard to breed out so cull hard?

don t worry too much about parasitic white .what you need is a true marans type . Negan is true marans looking dude with a lot great stuff going for him .yes he has faults .{ all our breeders have faults not the end of the world } he will produce better looking progeny .
went you fix the type and dark egg color .you can start breeding for body pattern and other stuff .

I will keep saying a same thing over and over . Build a house fist than start decorating it .

build the foundation of the line first .than breed the faults out of it later .

chooks man

don t worry too much about parasitic white .what you need is a true marans type . Negan is true marans looking dude with a lot great stuff going for him .yes he has faults .{ all our breeders have faults not the end of the world } he will produce better looking progeny .
went you fix the type and dark egg color .you can start breeding for body pattern and other stuff .

I will keep saying a same thing over and over . Build a house fist than start decorating it .

build the foundation of the line first .than breed the faults out of it later .

chooks man

Thank you for the reminder @Chooks man.
And your wisdom.

he is the one out of the 3 with a true marans body type . plus very good bodt type and tail .impressed .
I said it before ,hatch down is not related to body type . this guy is a prove .
hatch down is related to body color .

he is the only keeper for now from line #1 .
chooks man

This is Negan.
Are these vulture hocks coming in?

Their not as obvious like the other 2 brothers that will be culled.

20200926_082210.jpg
20200926_082243.jpg
20200926_081509.jpg
20200926_081429.jpg

his comb is a mess plus he is a square type or just the way you took the photo .
take photo of his from the side ,so we can see how long is he .
love his chunkiness .

chooks man

These are my 2 cockerels from line#2.

1: is having no tail yet making him look boxy?
20200926_093707.jpg
20200926_093703.jpg
20200926_093644.jpg
20200926_093643.jpg

2:
20200926_093625.jpg
20200926_093627.jpg

Not great pics but the best i can do for now. Im working outside taking pics when i can.

This is Negan.
Are these vulture hocks coming in?

Their not as obvious like the other 2 brothers that will be culled.

View attachment 2348980View attachment 2348981View attachment 2348982View attachment 2348984

his legs look OK to me .he does have some of the genes for sure ,but not predominant like other 2 .
there is a way to breed it out later . when time I come I will tell you .

he does have fault like I said to you before ,but he has all the marans traits . that is a plus .
let him do more growing and we will see how he turn up .they change so many time ,we have to wait .

chooks man

These are my 2 cockerels from line#2.

1: is having no tail yet making him look boxy?
View attachment 2348996View attachment 2348997View attachment 2348999View attachment 2349000

2:
View attachment 2349001View attachment 2349002

Not great pics but the best i can do for now. Im working outside taking pics when i can.

#1 is more colorful .#2 is more refine .
those 2 are not very slow feathering type .they are medium feathering type .mean they carry both genes the slow and the Early .

this cockerels will work well with pullets line #1 . pullets are long plus they have complete hackle marking and gorgeous copper .

chooks man

Awesome.
Build the house first......🙂

yes my friend .you need to focus on the body type and egg color first .don t get distracted by other traits .
I really see cockerel line 2 will work well with pullets line 1 .
pullets line 2 as too young to see they true quality .but Negan who will be breeding them has a stunning body color .correct body type .he will help .

that is your first breeding step . forming 2 breeding pens from 2 different lines . No sibling mating will be apply in this first part of the breeding . only out crossing the 2 lines .
2 trios is a best way to start .
keep it simple and efficient . step by step ,they say Rome was not build in one day .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom