International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

What breed is the Dark one.
She is a Black Copper Maran. Sadly she did inherit her mother's clean legs. I know my birds are not perfect, But for a introduction into them they have sold me on the breed. Especially little Clover's parents. Drumstick is the most gentle boy and will hop up in your lap if you sit down outside and take a nap in your arms. He's also spoiled, he can get up on the roost himself, but waits for me every night to put him up there as he knows the night time routine. It involves a few minutes of a chest rub before he's placed up and he loves it.

Clover is 9 weeks old tomorrow. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing. I just wish more of the eggs had hatched. She's also getting friendlier to me now that her surrogate mother has decided her 2 chicks are old enough that she doesn't have to try and beat me up for just looking at them.
View attachment 2360400
View attachment 2360402
View attachment 2360403
View attachment 2360406
View attachment 2360409
View attachment 2360411
View attachment 2360412
Somethings not right about the legs on this hen! TOM ??

That was my thinking too. I will get her penned up soon. It may be spring before I get any chicks from her because most of the Marans have quit laying. She has the nicest eye color of any female I have and I dont want to let that go to waste. And the white in her wings are small spots, not entire feathers.

it is the end of breeding season where you are ?
chooks man

it is the end of breeding season where you are ?
chooks man
Yes, It has already been getting cold here in Washington state. Down in the low 40s at night. I think here in a couple days they are calling for highs in the 60s. My Marans shut down about 4 weeks ago. Daylight savings time is soon. I am sure its colder here than where Kayla lives though.

Yes, It has already been getting cold here in Washington state. Down in the low 40s at night. I think here in a couple days they are calling for highs in the 60s. My Marans shut down about 4 weeks ago. Daylight savings time is soon. I am sure its colder here than where Kayla lives though.

Yes normally it is but we've had a cold front move in the past week or so. It was in the 40s last night. Back up into the 60s during the day though.

Here is a pullet with a halo. I had her penned up but turned her back out. I want to nip halos and lemon necked Marans (as I call them) in the bud. I agree with Chooksman that if I keep allowing for it, then it will become harder to eliminate.

A female can pass her halo onto her sons. A male can pass his halo onto both male and female offspring. (I learned that from Chooksman) This pullet is from Dark Halo. Her eye color is fairly clear so that is why I had her penned up in the first place.

20200930_150247.jpg

20200930_150300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom