International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

good move
chooks man
Thank you Chooksman, It was difficult I almost kept one BC and one BLCM. They where nice but I was afraid of that long tail would keep popping up. It didn't appear their main tail feathers where in yet. They where 4 1/2 months old. There was one BLC that lost a wing band. I had no idea who she came from. There was a chance she was from Violet so she went also. I had to close my eyes and put them in the cage. I am glad it was only my husband with me when I was deciding. I am sure the look on my face when I cringed, and put them inside was something else. Lol :th

Last edited:
I have to believe that karma will pay that cheater a visit someday! So sorry this happened to you and the gentleman who imported the chicks.

luckily God is above all!

my girl is a true green layer. I will put her with a pure cream legbar roo and work on creating cuckoo legbars. when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

the company that created these hybrids crossed back legbars to leghorns and plymouth rocks to increase egg and meat production. as leghorns and rocks have already been used in creating legbars it is not as bad. all of girls that lay green eggs with shells green inside/outside will be put with pure legbar roos. I just need to find one that is pure.

Chicken fraud is real.
This is awful.
So there is nowhere else in Greece to get some?

cuckoo legbars do not exist. yet. I hoped they have been a project.

I lived in italy for a few years. I forgot that they mostly trade. even their production is based on imported parts. warning: some of bed linen made in italy is chinese cheap fabrics.

Last edited:
Thank you Chooksman, It was difficult I almost kept one BC and one BLCM. They where nice but I was afraid of that long tail would keep popping up. It didn't appear their main tail feathers where in yet. They where 4 1/2 months old. There was one BLC that lost a wing band. I had no idea who she came from. There was a chance she was from Violet so she went also. I had to close my eyes and put them in the cage. I am glad it was only my husband with me when I was deciding. I am sure the look on my face when I cringed, and put them inside was something else. Lol :th

if you are going to keep breeding chooks to a highest level ,than you need to toughen up .or just have layer .never mind breeding .you can have as many chooks as you like for as long as you want them ,same flock for years .
do what make you happy .

chooks man.

luckily God is above all!

my girl is a true green layer. I will put her with a pure cream legbar roo and work on creating cuckoo legbars. when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

the company that created these hybrids crossed back legbars to leghorns and plymouth rocks to increase egg and meat production. as leghorns and rocks have already been used in creating legbars it is not as bad. all of girls that lay green eggs with shells green inside/outside will be put with pure legbar roos. I just need to find one that is pure.

I still can not believe it ,why Greek guy go and buy chooks from a Italian guy . never red any thing like it in any book .since when Italy is famous for breeding high quality chooks .
God has cosmos to look after ,chooks peoples should manage they own business and not buying chooks from Italy .

I m with you ,if you pullet lay green egg inside /outside than breed from her .
good luck if finding a cockerel . make sure they are not made in Italy please .

chooks man

can you give your good birds to a friend breeder? that would be a sort of back up just in case...

like the idea .
I did send a lot breeders chooks to friends all over OZ . so if some thing happen to my flock I can always get some fertile eggs or chooks from them .that how I m getting my old wheaten line back .my friend kept me 6 trios that she hatched from my chooks .

chooks man

if you are going to keep breeding chooks to a highest level ,than you need to toughen up .or just have layer .never mind breeding .you can have as many chooks as you like for as long as you want them ,same flock for years .
do what make you happy .

chooks man.
Of course I am going to keep breeding to the highest level because that is what makes me happy. I still might cringe a little to make a difficult decision. Especially one I might regret later. I am just worried my flock might not have enough diversity. Remember I almost culled my second best cockerel because of the spots. I am just trying not to do that again. There are some tough decisions and I just don't want to regret my decisions.

Last edited:
can you give your good birds to a friend breeder? that would be a sort of back up just in case...
Most of my friends are not into chickens. I give them eggs free so probably don't feel the need to raise their own.I do have one friend that keeps saying she wants some of my birds when they get the house and pen built but hasn't got them done. It's been 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom