International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Of course I am going to keep breeding to the highest level because that is what makes me happy. I still might cringe a little to make a difficult decision. Especially one I might regret later. I am just worried my flock might not have enough diversity.

With 20+ hens/pullets and 4 cocks/cockerels you should have enough diversity even though they are related (full siblings, half siblings, cousins, etc.). Poultry genetics can withstand a fair amount of inbreeding unlike mammal genetics.

luckily God is above all!

my girl is a true green layer. I will put her with a pure cream legbar roo and work on creating cuckoo legbars. when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

the company that created these hybrids crossed back legbars to leghorns and plymouth rocks to increase egg and meat production. as leghorns and rocks have already been used in creating legbars it is not as bad. all of girls that lay green eggs with shells green inside/outside will be put with pure legbar roos. I just need to find one that is pure.
Yes, God is above all! That sounds like a fun project. I hope you can find a pure legbar rooster.

With 20+ hens/pullets and 4 cocks/cockerels you should have enough diversity even though they are related (full siblings, half siblings, cousins, etc.). Poultry genetics can withstand a fair amount of inbreeding unlike mammal genetics.
Thank you! I get a little worried about messing things up. It definitely is a learning process. I will get there though. I want to improve them as close to standard as I can. That is my desire. I love my Marans!

Last edited:
Thank you! I get a little worried about messing things up. I want to improve them as close to standard as I can. That is my desire. I love my Marans!
I believe that we are only a four drive from each other? I would love to trade some birds any time you want!! WE have some nice BCM and should never need anymore genes than we have.
Please pm me !
Did you sell all of your BLUES
DSCN0487.JPG

TOM

I believe that we are only a four drive from each other? I would love to trade some birds any time you want!! WE have some nice BCM and should never need anymore genes than we have.
Please pm me !
Did you sell all of your BLUESView attachment 2423379
TOM
I believe 3 BC and 5 BLCM 1 hen and 7 pullets went the other day. I still have both BC and BLC. I will message you.

Please pm me !
Did you sell all of your BLUESView attachment 2423379
TOM
Pm sent. I still have BLC. I don't think I want to mix my line if I don't have to. A second line would be a possibility but I would have to come up with more pens. I am waiting to see how the middle group matures. I may have extra in the spring. My plan was to pick out the best for breeders. The rest would be layers/ back up just in case. The other option is I will also be hatching and growing out a few in the spring probably not many. I can set you up though either way.

Of course I am going to keep breeding to the highest level because that is what makes me happy. I still might cringe a little to make a difficult decision. Especially one I might regret later. I am just worried my flock might not have enough diversity. Remember I almost culled my second best cockerel because of the spots. I am just trying not to do that again. There are some tough decisions and I just don't want to regret my decisions.

if you show up the birds before taking any decision I don t see a problem ,we are helping you out .so don t take decision by your self and regret it later .we are here to help each other out so we minimize the mistakes .

chooks man

if you show up the birds before taking any decision I don t see a problem ,we are helping you out .so don t take decision by your self and regret it later .we are here to help each other out so we minimize the mistakes .

chooks man
Thank you Chooksman! I appreciate you and each and everyone here. I hope everyone has a Blessed Thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom