International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

unfortunatelly you are wrong. it is better to be patient and hatch healthy chickens.
Here's my Black Copper Marans first 4 eggs! They are still getting darker of course. I think I might put these in the incubator! View attachment 2493128
View attachment 2493126
First question are they fertile? Do you keep a rooster with your hens all the time. These eggs are very light and I would not breed them forward.
What we have learned as breeders on this thread. Do not hatch pullet eggs, count the first 30 eggs, how many eggs per week, color of egg and size of egg. Select only the best hens and which rooster you will bred to what hen.
What are you looking for when you hatching these eggs?? TOM ps I have never seen one of my eggs ( get darker)
DSCN0517.JPG

First question are they fertile? Do you keep a rooster with your hens all the time. These eggs are very light and I would not breed them forward.
What we have learned as breeders on this thread. Do not hatch pullet eggs, count the first 30 eggs, how many eggs per week, color of egg and size of egg. Select only the best hens and which rooster you will bred to what hen.
What are you looking for when you hatching these eggs?? TOM ps I have never seen one of my eggs ( get darker)View attachment 2494521
Yes, she is being bred with roosters. Have actively seen it. I'm not breeding for standards or anything. Just for fun because I love the breed.

unfortunatelly you are wrong. it is better to be patient and hatch healthy chickens.
Not sure I agree. I had a Pullet give me about 12 eggs last year and she went broody. Was a great mother also. If nature says it’s ok who am I to say it’s not.
Personally I’m not talking about Pullets that just started laying but a 8-10 month old Pullet I do not see an issue.

Not sure I agree. I had a Pullet give me about 12 eggs last year and she went broody. Was a great mother also. If nature says it’s ok who am I to say it’s not.
Personally I’m not talking about Pullets that just started laying but a 8-10 month old Pullet I do not see an issue.

posted a article about why not breeding pullets in they first year . I need to repost it for you guys .
do not breed from pullets .
chooks man

I was talking about pullets that just started to lay. if they start laying at 5-6 months I wouldn't mind to hatch their eggs when they are 10+ mo.

but marans usually start laying at 7-8+ mo.

Back
Top Bottom