International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

The Pullets are starting to lay. I’m really happy with the colors I am seeing !:celebrate
18A9014E-DEDC-409C-8510-F813EAAC03A7.jpeg

ok, thanks everyone! I will figure out a method to know which hens lays each egg. or maybe I will only set the eggs I am sure about.

that is a good looking rooster above!

Can I try my hand at a critique? 🙂🙃 Here goes...

Great body mass. Good type and shape. Nice low stance, close to ground. Beautiful deep copper colour. Full pattern. Looks like maybe he is missing the copper speckles from his chest? Good head. Are the wattles a little big? Maybe needs a few more spikes on his comb? Nice bright eyes, orange ear tufts so thats great. Can't really see leg colour or if there are too many leg feathers?- can't tell. Tail angle a bit high (but he looks alerted so maybe not).
How'd I do?
I think his tail angle is actually quite low so his angle right there is because he was alert like you said. I think he does have too many leg feathers, though I know that is not the standard that is what I like and the hens need more leg feathers so it’s perfect. His feet are slate. Yes, his comb needs some work I think his comb needs more separation from the neck. His chest is very full but no it doesn’t have any brown speckles but I think that’s what the standard likes. Overall he is a really nice bird and he is 7.4 lbs! 😍 Definitely a big beefy boy. I only have two hens. Both need more copper on their hackles and their eyes are a tad bit too dark. In the sun the eyes look orange but in the shade they look black. I can try getting pictures of them.

there is many many breeding methods . you need to find the one it is easier for you to practice .
if you want to breed to SOP standard you have to wait till your pullets passes a 10 months mark minimum like I explained it many time over and over before you breed them .
genetic of inheritance does not care about if we have space or not ,if marans are rare or not. rolls are the rolls can not be bent to please every body .
be patient my friend .let the pullets gain size ,it is very important for they helth in the long run .
if you want genetic diversity breed your 3 pullets to the best BCM rooster and to the best cuckoo rooster .they work well together .
I will show you how when breeding time come .
need good photos of you cuckoos roosters please .

here some name of some breeding method practiced by many chooks breeders around the world .
line breeding = many different breeding type in this category = this method is to work with a close breeding cycle . same folk of birds =
we breed mother to sun or father to daughter .back crossing method .
we breed half siblings to maintain and move the line forward .
we breed true sibling to reinforce any stunning genes they share .
we breed many many other relative together in a control programs .

out crossing = we breed to different birds come from different line . they have to compliment each other .

pen breeding = this method is only good when we are working with a proven breeders .

line breeding based on the sire only .he has to be proven producer .
line breeding based on the dam only .she has to be proven breeder .

line breeding based on the blood line to keep it pure .
line breeding based on the genetic traits to keep traits intact so we don t lose them by crossing .

chooks man

and many many other method .so don t worry .there is breeding method for every body and for every flock ,small or large .

Okay so I only have 2 pullets and I am going to breed them to my best cock. Do you think in the future I will need to bring in new blood? Since my entire breeding pen would be started with only 2 pullets? Thanks for all that information!

The Pullets are starting to lay. I’m really happy with the colors I am seeing !:celebrate
View attachment 2502670

I finally received my chart.

Problem is, I cant distinguish what number my eggs are from the darn thing.

I am finding it easier to group my eggs by color darkness and taking a guess as a whole. Sheesh.

Maybe my eyes are getting old.

I DID just turn 40 with 10 years experience...

Back
Top Bottom