International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Well, I’m getting a little taste of what it is like to live in cold weather. In North Texas we’ve been below freezing for 3 days and have another 6 days to go before we’re forecasted to be above 32 F (0 C). Sunday and Monday we’re supposed to be between 16 F (-8.8 C) and -2 F (-18.8 C). Texas hasn’t seen temperatures this cold since 1899. We’re suppose to get 4-8” of snow on Sunday and another 2-5” on Wednesday.

I have a lot of respect for people that live in this type of weather and colder for weeks and months at a time especially with animals to take care of. Making sure my Marans have plenty feed and warm water fortified with electrolytes and vitamins. They seem to be doing well so far.

Yup. I lived in Los Angeles for 15 years and then Vancouver for 10- and now back in the snow . I remember Vancouver almost shut down in 2015 when we got a foot of snow and it stayed for a week or two!! The city had sold its snow removal trucks to Washington state and it was a disaster. Busses sliding into busses- huge pileups. Very dangerous. That is going to be the norm moving forward, if climate change cannot be slowed or reversed.

I stepped off our frozen pond (we were skating) yesterday and up to my groin in snow. LOL The chickens go through a lot of feed, and for sure they all race to get the little bits of cracked corn first. But there is such amazing beauty in the snow. I missed it every single year I was away. Tomorrow will be warm (-8 C) so we will all go ice fishing. :gig

Remember, though- your body adapts. And dressing properly is key. What feels cold (-10 C) in December, does not feel cold anymore after two weeks of -22 C !!! After that, you are doing barn chores in -10c in your sweater with no mitts or hat!

Main thing I notice living back in 4 seasons (and with 3 kids) is the amount of things- clothes, toys, equipment- you need. So much more expensive to live in 4 seasons.

Maple syrup season is about to begin, too. The reward to the end of winter!

I think that is what I like most about 4 seasons. You see the change and passage of time. And you appreciate summer so much. But I think by the time I am 70 I will live winters in a gorgeous, hot new country every year. That is the plan. I love my hot climates, too. Just not to live year round. Too much for me.

Last edited:
Yup. I lived in Los Angeles for 15 years and then Vancouver for 10- and now back in the snow . I remember Vancouver almost shut down in 2015 when we got a foot of snow and it stayed for a week or two!! The city had sold its snow removal trucks to Washington state and it was a disaster. Busses sliding into busses- huge pileups. Very dangerous. That is going to be the norm moving forward, if climate change cannot be slowed or reversed.

I stepped off our frozen pond (we were skating) yesterday and up to my groin in snow. LOL The chickens go through a lot of feed, and for sure they all race to get the little bits of cracked corn first. But there is such amazing beauty in the snow. I missed it every single year I was away. Tomorrow will be warm (-8 C) so we will all go ice fishing. :gig

Remember, though- your body adapts. And dressing properly is key. What feels cold (-10 C) in December, does not feel cold anymore after two weeks of -22 C !!! After that, you are doing barn chores in -10c in your sweater with no mitts or hat!

Main thing I notice living back in 4 seasons (and with 3 kids) is the amount of things- clothes, toys, equipment- you need. So much more expensive to live in 4 seasons.

I think that is what I like most about 4 seasons. You see the change and passage of time. And you appreciate summer so much. But I think by the time I am 70 I will live winters in a gorgeous, hot new country every year. That is the plan. I love my hot climates, too. Just not to live year round. Too much for me.
Overall I think I’m handling it pretty well. I raise cattle as well so I’m in the elements every day feeding, putting out hay and busting pond ice. The only thing that gets me is my hands, even with insulated gloves, after about 30 minutes I have to get back in my truck to warm up my hands. It just takes a little more time to do my chores but the animals seem to be getting thru it OK. They are a lot tougher than I am thats for sure.

Overall I think I’m handling it pretty well. I raise cattle as well so I’m in the elements every day feeding, putting out hay and busting pond ice. The only thing that gets me is my hands, even with insulated gloves, after about 30 minutes I have to get back in my truck to warm up my hands. It just takes a little more time to do my chores but the animals seem to be getting thru it OK. They are a lot tougher than I am thats for sure.
yes, the hands are for sure the worst- that's when I know its cold, when I need to stop what I'm doing and run into the (insulated) feed room and warm up every 5 or 6 minutes.

I'm in MN and it's -19f tonight and -22f tomorrow night. That's where it takes several miles for your tires to warm up enough to get round and quit bouncing down the road. Although we like the four seasons, no one ever really likes it that cold.

-8 C warm? we shall have 0 C for a few morning hours next week and I feel like crying!

Back
Top Bottom