International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Not happy this evening. In Line #2 I only have 2 hens and one rooster. I caught the hen laying so I could clearly see what egg was hers. Egg color stinks, way to light not even a 4.:barnie Now the only thing I like about her is she is chunky. Her brother came from one of the darkest eggs I ever hatched. Any hope for her or does she just get sold as a brown egg layer? Even though she doesn’t lay dark eggs can she possibly carry the dark egg gene because her brother came from very dark egg?

was it her first egg? I had a few pullets that laid too early so the colour did not have time to spread. but the colour improved when they started to lay properly.

I just candled my eggs as they are on day 12 of incubation. I usually open the eggs that I take out to see what they look like. One egg that had no development when I opened had double yolks. The only time I have had double yolks before was with high production hens. Anyone seeing that often in Marans?

yes but rarely.

Sorry all, for my absence. I've had a lot of things going on. My son's virtual learning keeps me busy. I also work on a busy and packed covid unit in critical care and we have had a lot of short staffing lately. We are losing many nurses to travel. Travel agencies are recruiting them and the money for some I guess is too good to pass up. I however am a loyal servant to my profession and stay where I am very much needed. It makes it hard on those that stay but we are making it day by day. The senior nurses that have left to travel are being replaced by new graduate RNs and they have to have a few old hands to teach them the ropes.

Nothing much new to update on my Marans. I just set a few eggs from Dark Angel's single mated pen. I can't remember for the life of me what his hen's name is at the moment.

Broken Wing died a few weeks ago from an unknown issue he had, I simply deduced as failure to thrive. He wouldn't put on weight or develop. We treated for internal parasites and he never got better. Upon examination all I found to be wrong with him was simply poor body condition. No respiratory issues. No neurological symptoms. Good appetite. It was a mystery and very perplexing.

I hope everyone has stayed safe this winter and the winter storms haven't taken too much of a toll on any of you. We were without electricity one night but have been fortunate otherwise. I will be happy for spring to arrive.

May God bless all of you and keep you safe. I have certainly missed my BYC friends.

nice to hear from you my friend and knowing you and family are good,
chooks man

Not happy this evening. In Line #2 I only have 2 hens and one rooster. I caught the hen laying so I could clearly see what egg was hers. Egg color stinks, way to light not even a 4.:barnie Now the only thing I like about her is she is chunky. Her brother came from one of the darkest eggs I ever hatched. Any hope for her or does she just get sold as a brown egg layer? Even though she doesn’t lay dark eggs can she possibly carry the dark egg gene because her brother came from very dark egg?

are you sure is here full brother or just a hatch mate?
chooks man

I just candled my eggs as they are on day 12 of incubation. I usually open the eggs that I take out to see what they look like. One egg that had no development when I opened had double yolks. The only time I have had double yolks before was with high production hens. Anyone seeing that often in Marans?
double yolks come from over weight hens .does happen to all chooks breed .
Marans are not heavy layer ,so we can t just give them layer feed ,it is too strong . I add 20% wheat or black sun flower recording to the season /
Wheat is added in Spring and summer .
black sun flower seed are added during Autumn and winter .

chooks man

Yes.
For their short, low tails and long backs.
I may try again because they are beautiful, correct chicks and are fully feathered at 2 weeks.
Maybe.

I would not drive but have them shipped.

you don t need more chooks ,what you need is to breed the one you have ,you have now enough genetic diversity ,don t keep adding .
work with what you have ,you have very nice hens from 3 different lines plus cockerels from 2 different lines .what else are you looking for .I don t understand it .
you are saying you have a couples of hens that are laying number 8 eggs ,so where is problem . we need good cockerels for them ,the heaven are listing to me i wished that all the eggs you collected by driving should be cockerels .so we can do very great selection of great looking cockerel or 2 to mate to these gorgeous hens you have .

you still remember the first post when I sad we only keeping pullets from this line because of the parasitic white .BUT you forgot the post that come after when I said we need cockerel with a long back and low tail .

chooks man

more chicks are hatching ,splash ,buff ,BC and BLC. very hard to take photos of them with they mama,
P1130913.JPG
P1130908.JPG

chooks man

you don t need more chooks ,what you need is to breed the one you have ,you have now enough genetic diversity ,don t keep adding .
work with what you have ,you have very nice hens from 3 different lines plus cockerels from 2 different lines .what else are you looking for .I don t understand it .
you are saying you have a couples of hens that are laying number 8 eggs ,so where is problem . we need good cockerels for them ,the heaven are listing to me i wished that all the eggs you collected by driving should be cockerels .so we can do very great selection of great looking cockerel or 2 to mate to these gorgeous hens you have .

you still remember the first post when I sad we only keeping pullets from this line because of the parasitic white .BUT you forgot the post that come after when I said we need cockerel with a long back and low tail .

chooks man
I wouldnt be adding another line, just more chooks from line #3 to choose from.

I thought my only breeding hen was Georgia. ?

I have never done this before and I am taking all your advice.
It gets confusing sometimes so bear with me.🙂

I know, Im driving you nuts.

Back
Top Bottom