International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Since the hatchery canceled my order due to the storm, I got 3 Black Copper Marans pullets from Tractor Supply. (Desperate times ;)) They are 2 weeks. Does all this copper just mean bad breeding? or does it mean cockerel... already?View attachment 2564186View attachment 2564187View attachment 2564188
I have never known TSC to carry Black Copper Marans (BCM). Where these specifically advertised as BCM? I have seen Midnight Majesty Marans at TSC but they are a hybrid (not purebred) by crossing a Barred Plymouth Rock with a BCM Hen. Mossiness occasionally shows up in some BCM Lines.

I have never known TSC to carry Black Copper Marans (BCM). Where these specifically advertised as BCM? I have seen Midnight Majesty Marans at TSC but they are a hybrid (not purebred) by crossing a Barred Plymouth Rock with a BCM Hen. Mossiness occasionally shows up in some BCM Lines.
Yep. I was pleasantly surprised too to find such a rare breed there. I got 3 Black Copper Marans AND 3 Creme Legbars. :)

Oh and thanks for giving me the term for it! Mossy! Yes, can both pullets and cockerels be THIS mossy this early? :)

Since the hatchery canceled my order due to the storm, I got 3 Black Copper Marans pullets from Tractor Supply. (Desperate times ;)) They are 2 weeks. Does all this copper just mean bad breeding? or does it mean cockerel... already?View attachment 2564186View attachment 2564187View attachment 2564188

the head of the mossy chick reminds me on my first ever bcm cockerel. please keep us posted about these chicks. I wonder if it is a boy or if it will have a sweet personality my roo had.

I kept my 2 silver black (birchen) males in with my black coppers this year for winter heat. I didn't have enough birchens for them to be alone in the other coop. Anyways, the false spring has crept up on me, now eggs everywhere. I'm moving the silver boys today. I keep a closed flock so I wont personally be keeping these eggs, but this has me wondering, if I give them away locally as "brown layers" what would the outcome be of

black silver roo x black copper hen

I dont have any birchen hens in there and obviously, these aren't eggs I should bother setting since my bcm line is pure and separate. *thanks chicken genetics people :)

I will go through this question later today when I have more time .
can you please post some photos of your Birchen boys and BC hens please .so I can see if it is worth the effort of breeding them together .
chooks man

wow guys 2 days of very heavy rain ,most of NSW low land is under water ,lot flash flooding . lucky I was not on the road made it one day before the storm .
chooks are fine ,troy s had a little trouble to keep the little chicks with they mams dried . all good .going tomorrow morning to the farm to see them ,2 weeks now since last time I saw them . miss my chooks each time I go away .
New farm up north is going to be they new paradise . they will have every thing they need . big investment to build a largest marans breeding farm in the world . I do have a great breeding stock ,now I have a place to multiply them by a 1000 .
talked to Troy s ,he said we have a lot BC cockerel from Conan The Barbarian . well pleased want them all to be cockerels .
chooks man

more rain, the biggest flood in last 100 years . never seen any thing like it .
chooks and the rest of animal are fine high ground .
some chicks are hatching today some by broody hen ,others by hatcher .
Troy s is filling one more 49 eggs incubator , he said the eggs are too dark he has to hatch them . agree with him . those hens are very special ,they still pumping those large dark eggs at the end of laying cycle .they are molting but they don t want to stop laying .
well happy now I m breeding my own chooks not buying eggs from some one else.

looking forward for the rain to stop so I can go to the farm to see the chicks, especially BC cockerels from CTB pen .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom