International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I just bought these two marans. What do we think ? They are both very similar. Both are almost 7 months old. Do they seem like good breeders ?
I need to see better photos from all side .front ,back .side and top if possible .they seem to have a correct body marking and good copper .
1664170968849.png

this guy have a correct comb . but his hackle is split between copper and gold at the bottom . halo hackle . his tail look too long and at high angle not good .could be just he is stressed . he has good feet well colored and well feathred . he seem to be freee from parasitic white .need better photos of him please .
the other cockerels . this one
1664171187166.png

I can not see much but he seem to hold his tail side way wry tail .not good ,more photos please .as many as you can .
chooks man

I need to see better photos from all side .front ,back .side and top if possible .they seem to have a correct body marking and good copper . View attachment 3272047
this guy have a correct comb . but his hackle is split between copper and gold at the bottom . halo hackle . his tail look too long and at high angle not good .could be just he is stressed . he has good feet well colored and well feathred . he seem to be freee from parasitic white .need better photos of him please .
the other cockerels . this one
View attachment 3272048
I can not see much but he seem to hold his tail side way wry tail .not good ,more photos please .as many as you can .
chooks man
Okay tomorrow I’ll take plenty. Thank you :)

The 4 pen is a BC cockerel SpringBuck and his brother over the BLC older hens 4 of them . All dark eggs layer and large hens too with a lovely tails 2 of them have a complete hackle marking and 2 are without a coppery hackle . SpringBuck first
75987C85-77A4-4D41-9B4A-EBC7393DF469.jpeg
the second hen
0F6C08BA-8656-47D2-9712-4583875CFCDD.jpeg
hen 3 and 4 I don t have they photos. The phone is doing my head in . Too hard. Chooks man

Attachments

• 3C147D36-3F0A-41AC-85E5-A2105ED89F10.jpeg
    3C147D36-3F0A-41AC-85E5-A2105ED89F10.jpeg
    484.2 KB · Views: 2
I have over 70 roosters , cockerels . No body is happy about except me . Your 4 cockerels are stunning . It is a good sign when they don t show the white early . That mean they have a minimum or none . After the big molt @ 2 years you can tell it they have or not . You need to work with different pairing , small number of hens with each cock , so you end up with a lot different progeny to select from . That what I m trying to do . It is easier to work with a large pen but you end up with a lot similarity. We need variation so we can tell what pairing work and what doesn’t t work . All the best . Photos of the hens please. Chooks man
my husband always starts harrassing me to hurry up and pick already on the cockerels. It is easy to see major faults, and those birds make excellent roasters, but we end up eating a lot of soup or coq a vin.

I have started canning my roosters like I used to years ago.
I am NOT a good cook so having potted chicken is much easier and tastes better to us. More tender too.

I have a lot problem with my cockerels combs .lot of them have damaged comb from fighting .because I was not around for a long time 15 months total ,Troy kept them all .he could not make the selection . caused a lot fighting . we have 9 pens all full of roosters /cockerels . one pen has 20 cockerels all trouble maker .
the smallest pen has 6 CTB and his 4 boys plus Shamrock#2 . very calm pen .
I lost Khabib and his gorgeous comb none of his son s have his type of comb . some they have nice comb but not as great as Khabib . Khabib comb was faultless .10/10 . few of his daughter have inherited his comb gorgeous type small ,straight ,thick ,rough with a correct points and clear well lifted lobe . so it is not all lost . I should breed nice cockerels from them for sure .
chooks man

I need to work on combs.
It will probably be one of the last issues I work on but I will try to be selective in the breeding pen for this.
A good comb is still very confusing for me.

I need to work on combs.
It will probably be one of the last issues I work on but I will try to be selective in the breeding pen for this.
A good comb is still very confusing for me.
the comb genes are not sex linked ,so it is easy to fix it ,you only need one bird with a correct comb to do the job.
chooks man

I have 2 hatches that I am keeping this year. With both hatches, i used Seamus
Over all hens from lines #1,2,3.

These are the youngest group. There are 7 pullets. I had planned to grow them to point of lay and sell them so I culled the cockerels early. But now I have decided to keep them. I love how they are looking. Most have very nice copper and tails. A couple of them have nice mass already.

This group are about 4.5 months old.

20220926_090341.jpg

20220926_090234.jpg
20220926_090205.jpg
20220926_090125.jpg
20220926_090106.jpg
20220926_090020.jpg
20220926_085940.jpg
20220926_085600.jpg
20220926_085356.jpg
20220926_085234.jpg

Back