International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

No I have not.
I was not sure what to do.
I do think the one I said had a lot of white should be culled. Its a ton. Showing through his hackles and base of tail.

I need to get better photos.
I know he is a cull because of the white but I m interesting to see how he grow up . He has lovely body type for his age .
Chooks man

This is true.
I just keep remembering that white underfluff is hard to breed out.

It does require patience. Your right :)

The problem is, I don't think I've ever had one that did not have some type of parasitic white.
No many line out there are free from parasitic white . The reason for that is peoples breed from a young stop . They don t let they chooks age to see if any white will appear when they are older
We need to breed from the old chooks 4 years and over if we want to get ready of the parasitic white
My dark cuckoo rooster Rashad did not had any white any where . Now he finished his 3 red molt ( 3 years old ) some white appears in his fail,
Chooks man

This is true.
I just keep remembering that white underfluff is hard to breed out.

It does require patience. Your right :)

The problem is, I don't think I've ever had one that did not have some type of parasitic white.
to breed out the parasitic white=
we need to breed from many different hens and roosters possible ,
we need to do a lot test mating to see what combination will yield no white .
we need a lot of time 3 years and more to be sure .
lot hatching and lot culling .
before that we need to fix the body type and eggs color ,we need these 2 traits to breed true in our line /s before we do any thing else .
I personaly prefer to have a my marans look exactly like the SOP call for with a parasitic white rather than no white but horrible looking body type .
nice to have a well worked and well bred line /s of BC/BLC / BIR and SC without any parasitic white .that will take years of selective breeding .it is not goping to happen over night for sure but it is possible .
chooks man

to breed out the parasitic white=
we need to breed from many different hens and roosters possible ,
we need to do a lot test mating to see what combination will yield no white .
we need a lot of time 3 years and more to be sure .
lot hatching and lot culling .
before that we need to fix the body type and eggs color ,we need these 2 traits to breed true in our line /s before we do any thing else .
I personaly prefer to have a my marans look exactly like the SOP call for with a parasitic white rather than no white but horrible looking body type .
nice to have a well worked and well bred line /s of BC/BLC / BIR and SC without any parasitic white .that will take years of selective breeding .it is not goping to happen over night for sure but it is possible .
chooks man
So I will hold on to him and cull for high tails only. It looks like 1 more tail is popping up. The other 6 are good so far.

It is so busy around here. I will try today to get photos.

20230530_123250.jpg
20230530_123159.jpg
20230530_123132.jpg
20230530_123113.jpg
20230530_122755.jpg
20230530_122524.jpg
20230530_123156.jpg
20230530_123057.jpg

Back
Top Bottom