International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

One of these days I'll attempt to hatch out more OEs. My only EE lays green but not sure yet if she's got the blue egg gene.
Last 3 OEs I got from her were all boys.
So I'd like to see some Olive eggs, I'm sick of seeing brown, other than her green and white duck eggs all I have is varying shades of brown. Booooring!! 🙂

My luck tho she won't have blue gene and her progeny will lay brown... 🤪

I think that comes from the misconception that the darkest egg genes are sex linked. Chooksman always argued otherwise. If you know the roo is from an exceptionally (eggceptiinally) dark egg, you are certain that all the offspring inherit it, but if all your hens lay dark eggs, this is just as good as using a dark egg roo.

At least that’s as far as I understand it.

true.

One of these days I'll attempt to hatch out more OEs. My only EE lays green but not sure yet if she's got the blue egg gene.
So I'd like to see some Olive eggs, I'm sick of seeing brown, other than her green and white duck eggs all I have is varying shades of brown. Booooring!! 🙂

crack her egg, peel off the membrane and check if shell is blue inside. if it is blue both outside and inside it means she has 2 copies of blue gene and will pass it to all her progeny. if it is white inside then she has just 1 copy of the blue gene and will pass it to some of her progeny.

It’s been a while since I have posted anything to this thread. Mostly because none of my Marans eggs hatched. I did get some olive eggers 5 weeks ago and one BCM X BR to hatch a week ago. It has the head spot so definitely a cockerel.
IMG_4672.jpeg
IMG_4678.jpeg
IMG_4687.jpeg
IMG_4671.jpeg

3rd pic. On the right. That coloring... ♥️
That’s the same bird as the first picture of that post. He was first one I had pegged as a cockerel. He has had an attitude since day 1. I’m not sure who the mother is. When My Jersey Giant was ready to sit on eggs and I realized the timing would make of Easter Sunday hatch I gave her 9 green eggs from my flock but I wasn’t prepared to collect from specific hens

If you are ever in my area I can give you some green eggs. Most of my green egg layers are Hoover Hatchery olive Eggers Americana x Cuckoo Marans so they should have one copy of blue gene and 1/2 of the daughters will inherit it and lay green/ olive color eggs. They are all covered only by Axl my BCM rooster.

I also have 2 Easter Eggers that lay light green and my girl Blue that lays olive sometimes speckled eggs. Her father is BCM so she definitely only has one copy of blue egg gene.

You would have possibly of some really good colors but also a lot of chicken dinners

Attachments

• IMG_4699.jpeg
    IMG_4699.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    929.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4703.jpeg
    IMG_4703.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4702.jpeg
    IMG_4702.jpeg
    895.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4706.jpeg
    IMG_4706.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 0
That’s the same bird as the first picture of that post. He was first one I had pegged as a cockerel. He has had an attitude since day 1. I’m not sure who the mother is. When My Jersey Giant was ready to sit on eggs and I realized the timing would make of Easter Sunday hatch I gave her 9 green eggs from my flock but I wasn’t prepared to collect from specific hens
Oh, I see it now. Resembles Marans x your OE Blue to me... 🙂

If you are ever in my area I can give you some green eggs. Most of my green egg layers are Hoover Hatchery olive Eggers Americana x Cuckoo Marans so they should have one copy of blue gene and 1/2 of the daughters will inherit it and lay green/ olive color eggs. They are all covered only by Axl my BCM rooster.

I also have 2 Easter Eggers that lay light green and my girl Blue that lays olive sometimes speckled eggs. Her father is BCM so she definitely only has one copy of blue egg gene.

You would have possibly of some really good colors but also a lot of chicken dinners
Love to get some eggs from Blue. Egg swap one of these days...👍

Went thru all eggs yesterday and I've got 11 eggs from Angel collected.
How many should I shove under her? All 11 or 12 if she lays today and see what hatches?
I could and probably should crack a couple open to check fertility but I'm sure they are, but to be safe. That would give me 9-10 for her.
If I was thinking like @Chooks man would want me to think....
He favored Angel from the start, and seeing that I only hatched 1 egg from her, I think this is my smart move.

Back
Top Bottom