Intro of the top Hen :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HamiamHens, Jul 30, 2018.

1. HamiamHens

HamiamHens In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2018
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes. I first got chickens in April of this year. My community has a really nice sustainable living organization called 500 Gardens and 500 chickens. Every spring the 500 chickens group does an intro class to raising chicks, gives you 4 free chicks, loans the brooder, light, water container, and gives the first month or so of chick food. Pretty cool group and my start to backyard chicken keeping. The group also lets people "foster" chicks and give them back at the 6 week mark. I think that is amazing because it keeps people from possibly getting the "Easter" chickens that they don't know what to do with as adults. They can raise their chicks to 6 weeks and then give them back for someone else to buy.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have 7, and 2 days ago I ordered 3 more and got 4! So a total of 11.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    I have 5 Golden Comets, 1 barred rock pullet, one barred rock cockerel, and 4 "top hat specials Chicks" from Cackle. One appears to be a Houdan, with 5 toes, and the other 3 look like Polish chicks.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

When one of my first golden comet chicks got sick and I was searching the internet trying to find answers to help her. I stumbled on the Poop Chart and i still use it for questionable poops!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I work as a pediatric ER nurse, garden, and I like to make candles, lotions, and other things of that nature. I play softball, terribly, for our ED team.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    See above for occupation. I'm married with a 13 y.o. Boy. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and Russian tortoise, and a tarantula.

We got our very first egg today! It was so egg-citing!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

See above for the first question. I've known about BYC since a few weeks before I got my own chickens. I was seeking information on coops and lit was a great place to look. I'm so glad I didn't buy a pre fab coop. We built ours and it's bigger and better quality for less money thanks to my BYC research! I joined because as I've started to learn more about chickens, I wanted to be able to possibly help other people. Plus this is an AMAZING resource and I have friends that are now interested in chickens and I refer them to your site.

Attached Files:

2. KLIL

KLIL Crossing the Road

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens :frow

Pork Pie Ken, N F C, 007Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome to BYC!

5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Thanks for sharing pics of your flock.

Thanks for joining us! :celebrate

6. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    I'm just curious if you bought your birds at the six week mark?(After raising them of course...)

Welcome to BYC! A beautiful flock you have there!

7. HazelandPearl

HazelandPearl Songster

Mar 16, 2018
    Fernandina Beach FL
    Welcome! I am a Labor and Delivery nurse and new chicken Momma with 4 Chickens. I love this site for all the knowledge and articles! Good luck and have fun with your new flock.

8. KLIL

KLIL Crossing the Road

Jul 4, 2018
    Queensland, Australia
    Hello and welcome :frow

9. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    BYC welcome 1.jpg

Hi, it's nice to have you here! Lovely photos and what a great program your community has.

Thanks for joining us!

KikisGirls, Pork Pie Ken and 007Sean like this.
  10. Aliamelody

Aliamelody Songster

Jul 27, 2018
    Iran
    welcome To BYC!
    :welcome:wee

KikisGirls, Pork Pie Ken and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: