Intro to peafowl

Mickey Lou 04

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
Hey I am trying to decide whether or not peafowl is the right choice for us. I am wondering if any of you could help me with any info on peafowl care, I have researched a little but any and all info that would be good for beginners.

On the other hand they eat game bird feed correct? Also how much feed do they consume? How big is the market for peachicks?

Here is the scary question, is there any way to at least break even financially?

I am a bit of a chicken finatic and I show poultry and I realize that it can be somewhat tricky to keep a good facility and be reasonable with $. At least at the starting point.

I am wanting any and all basic info for raising these birds.

Thanks so much!!!
I am looking forward to your responses.

As for breaking even is it hard to sell peachicks or eggs? To at least get some money back? Money isn't my priority but I can sink too much into them. ( I have other animals to feed
smile.png
)

Last edited:
Hello There. Raising Peafowl is not any more difficult than raising chickens in my opinion. In fact, peafowl were the one thing that helped me pay to have my other animals. (they even bought me an old farm truck for feed, etc, one summer.) As to whether you could money on them, that will be based on your local demand. When I first started with peafowl about 40 years ago, i could sell any and all extras I had with no problem, as there were few people in my state who had them. About 7-8 years later I found that I could hardly give them away, as by that time more people had them, and the demand was mostly met. They are tons of fun, and so I would say, try them, there is very little to lose. Good Luck.

Thanks everybody!
big_smile.png

I looked through the stickies and I learned quite a bit. I do have a question, we have kids and would we need to worry about them being mean. I mean do they usually show aggression?

I've heard that peachick mortality rate is high. How high would "high" be? I would probably have some shipped and I am concerned that I wouldn't have any chicks left. High can be REALLY bad or a good amount. Anyhow I am wanting to have heard peoples' opinions so I can hear everyone's take on the subject.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom