Introduced new chooks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McGoo, Nov 27, 2007.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I purchased 4 new hens from 'Zooteacher' (member of the forum) to add to my 3 young gals and a roo to kinda acheive a better roo to hen ratio. I brought them in under cover of darkness and placed them in the coop last night.

This morning the new ones were petrified. It took them a while to come out and check out the pen and then about 4 more hours before they stepped out onto the lawn.

Two of my previous hens ran after and pecked at them... understand that's the chicken way. Since then and aside from the roo coming on to them, they've stayed separate from the others.

Questions: How much pecking and fighting will typically occur? How long before they work this out. Unfortunately the new hens are a little smaller in size, though older.

Should I expect that they will be a little team within a month or so? [​IMG]

Thanks

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It depends on the chickens themselves...Jerry took to Obelisk and Slifer right away.
    Obelisk still pecks Penny when she's in one of her moods.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Usually takes only a few days of ruffled feathers, then everything settles down. The younger they are the easier it will be.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, it can take a few weeks to get totally settled. They should follow the old ones back in at night but will be last to roost and so on.

5. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

It's good to know that it probably won't be too long before they settle down. My chooks are only 6/7mos old, so based on what you're saying, maybe they'll be easier on the new guys.

I was happy when they all got into the coop tonight - it was a scene, but eventually they all got in there. I noticed that they're not on the roost, but I'll leave them alone tonight.

Really good news for them is their future - a totally cream-puff life. [​IMG]

Thanks all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by