Introducing 1 hen

FrannyLW

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Central NJ
So I rescued one 8 month old Buff Brahma hen. She’s the size of my other hens. I have (2) 2 year old EEs and 2 ( 7 month old) Ayam Cemani pair. Introduction of the AC in November was not too bad. Quarantine then cage in the coop for several weeks then release. Now same with Brahma but since she’s by herself those EEs are mean. The Brahma actually jumped on me to escape them. I’m talking about today’s episode. I put her back in her enclosure to try again tomorrow. I thought about putting her in the roost tonight but I don’t think I’d be up that early to see if she needs rescuing in the morning. Any tips? They weren’t always on her just if they saw her in a corner. When I stepped away to get some food they both cornered her and her head was poking out of the run as if she was saying “ help me”. I did throw straw and seed all around.

So I rescued one 8 month old Buff Brahma hen. She’s the size of my other hens. I have (2) 2 year old EEs and 2 ( 7 month old) Ayam Cemani pair. Introduction of the AC in November was not too bad. Quarantine then cage in the coop for several weeks then release. Now same with Brahma but since she’s by herself those EEs are mean. The Brahma actually jumped on me to escape them. I’m talking about today’s episode. I put her back in her enclosure to try again tomorrow. I thought about putting her in the roost tonight but I don’t think I’d be up that early to see if she needs rescuing in the morning. Any tips? They weren’t always on her just if they saw her in a corner. When I stepped away to get some food they both cornered her and her head was poking out of the run as if she was saying “ help me”. I did throw straw and seed all around.
It is often very hard to introduce just one chicken into a pre-existing flock. I would recommend a see-no-touch situation. Have the Brahma in a pen where the others can see her, but can't hurt her.

Oops, sorry. I missed that. Have you tried letting them out into the yard for a more neutral territory?
not yet. only because my AC still have not gone into the yard and I don’t know if they are smart enough to go back to the coop lol. They are very skittish and do not like to come near me.

not yet. only because my AC still have not gone into the yard and I don’t know if they are smart enough to go back to the coop lol. They are very skittish and do not like to come near me.
Well, then I'm really not to sure what else to do. You could try putting plenty of places for the Brahma to hide in the coop/run.

I haven't done what you've done, but here are two articles from people who were in a similar situation:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

They basically did a "reverse integration" starting with see-no-touch then putting either the mildest or lowest bird in with the new bird, etc.

Good luck!
I guess it’s just patience. Time and patience. She is in a dog crate with a rabbit hutch attached. Guess I feel bad for her in such a small enclosure while the others got a huge run.

Do I intervene when one or two hens jump on her and pin her down?
You could try putting the 2 bullies in the crate and let the new single in with the AC's.

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
Might be able to create a separate section for 'time outs'

Back
Top Bottom