Introducing 2 pullets to a rooster: safe ages and process

yeye5

Songster
Jun 11, 2016
North East Florida
I'm an early planner!
The chicks I'm asking about here are still only 8 weeks old and there is absolutely no rush.
I've been offered a gorgeous rooster from a friend and I accepted. His arrival will depend on readiness of his new house. Of course I won't let him be alone and I have 3 "of-age" hens all with one rooster. I plan to move a hen in with him to keep him company.
The choices of hens for him are: Lucy (who is pretty well past the egg laying stage) or 2 other egg layers(Snow White, leghorn and Henrietta, mixed) that are happy to be romanced.

The chicks (8 week olds) that I eventually want to add to his family have safe housing here already and I prefer they get as much time as they need.

Questions...
What age generally is a safe starting point to intro the pullets to the new roo?
Do you all suggest "supervised playtime" first or just take the plunge if they get along and moved them in together?
Would the choice of which hen he starts with effect the outcome of how the pullets plus hen and roo will do?

I initially am thinking of Lucy to give him. She is sort of a flock grandmother. She is very mellow and not at all competitive. Or should he get one of the egg laying feistier hens?

I'm posting this early so that I have time to take it slow and safe.
Any feedback is appreciated!

I'm an early planner!
The chicks I'm asking about here are still only 8 weeks old and there is absolutely no rush.
I've been offered a gorgeous rooster from a friend and I accepted. His arrival will depend on readiness of his new house. Of course I won't let him be alone and I have 3 "of-age" hens all with one rooster. I plan to move a hen in with him to keep him company.
The choices of hens for him are: Lucy (who is pretty well past the egg laying stage) or 2 other egg layers(Snow White, leghorn and Henrietta, mixed) that are happy to be romanced.

The chicks (8 week olds) that I eventually want to add to his family have safe housing here already and I prefer they get as much time as they need.

Questions...
What age generally is a safe starting point to intro the pullets to the new roo?
Do you all suggest "supervised playtime" first or just take the plunge if they get along and moved them in together?
Would the choice of which hen he starts with effect the outcome of how the pullets plus hen and roo will do?

I initially am thinking of Lucy to give him. She is sort of a flock grandmother. She is very mellow and not at all competitive. Or should he get one of the egg laying feistier hens?

I'm posting this early so that I have time to take it slow and safe.
Any feedback is appreciated!

My AMS chicks started being allowed to free range with my other flock (which has a very large rooster) at only 8 weeks old. The roosters usually ignore chicks, mine has once of twice tried to top a 16 week old but gave up very soon lol. I would say to start free ranging with your other flock as soon as they look big enough to not be easily injured in the case of a "pecking order related scuffle".

Thanks Braxton Brigade!
I can start doing that within a month or so.
The rooster that is here, "Creamy", with the hens isn't very big but he's a gamecock with a big attitude.
On the other hand "Coco Loco" is very big, but not aggressive.

The don't free range per se, but they have a large fenced area that has their night time coop with roof fenced inside of that.
I'm wondering if the pullets get to know Loco before the start laying, will that make it easier on them once they attract romantic interest from Lolo?

Thanks Braxton Brigade!
I can start doing that within a month or so.
The rooster that is here, "Creamy", with the hens isn't very big but he's a gamecock with a big attitude.
On the other hand "Coco Loco" is very big, but not aggressive.

The don't free range per se, but they have a large fenced area that has their night time coop with roof fenced inside of that.
I'm wondering if the pullets get to know Loco before the start laying, will that make it easier on them once they attract romantic interest from Lolo?

Pullets seem to avoid the roos until they are right near their first eggs. Then they will start listening to the roos when they call them over around 18-22 week olds. And of the course the older the hen the more experienced she will become in how things work. If that makes any sense lol.

Yes it does make sense. The only adult roo in with them all is the dad, Mun~eco, of the silkie peeps. He tried once to mount Bert (BR likely cockerel) but it seemed more dominance related.
He doesn't respond at all in "that way" to the youngsters.

Back
Top Bottom