Introducing a chick

Hanwell Hens

Songster
7 Years
May 5, 2016
Wiltshire UK
Hi there

I have a Pekin Hen with 5 3wk old chicks and another hen with just one. The Hen with the one is not being the most caring of mums so was hoping to put the single one in with the others.

Wouldn't work if at night I sneak in and place the chick under the other mum. Would it help to rub the chick with other mums feathers and keep them in the dark until late morning.

Any advice welcome please.

Cheers

I can’t second guess @sourland because I’ve only incubated ducklings and integrated them into my flock, or sold them...
So. Those that know way more than I do should be listened to way more than I should!
However. If you are concerned that the Pekin momma of the single isn’t doing a good job... You have a fair likelihood that you may lose that baby.
Soooo... trying to find a better situation for it feels a little less scary when you consider the options....?
Unless someone else has better ideas!
If it were me, and I was able to hang w them / work outside close to the coop and be around tomorrow....

I’d try it. Again. Never have. But. Worst case scenario, set up a brooder and be ready to pull the baby back from the “good” momma along with one of hers so the one baby can have a friend in the brooder.

I don’t know the temperament of the “good” momma, and how comfortable she is with you checking the babies/ getting in her space. That is something that only you can answer.

If you think she will be a problem...
I’d probably just get a brooder heated up and pull one from her, and the single from the other hen.

Your only other real option is to leave them and hope for the best.

I don’t envy your predicament 💔 best of luck 😊

Back
Top Bottom