Introducing a drake to a single hen

Scarletpyxi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
I am just lost as to how to approach this one. We started with two female ducks and two chickens, a fox got one duck and the chickens died of Mareks, my remaining hen is stressed and sad after losing her sisters and is not laying. I have a friend who has offered to give me a drake of the same breed, he is much younger than her though, I just feel like she needs more body heat in the duck house at night as well as a friend, she is so sweet and it is so sad to see her this depressed. How can I introduce the two without stressing her out even more?

I am just lost as to how to approach this one. We started with two female ducks and two chickens, a fox got one duck and the chickens died of Mareks, my remaining hen is stressed and sad after losing her sisters and is not laying. I have a friend who has offered to give me a drake of the same breed, he is much younger than her though, I just feel like she needs more body heat in the duck house at night as well as a friend, she is so sweet and it is so sad to see her this depressed. How can I introduce the two without stressing her out even more?
Best way to do it through fencing, let them get to know each other that way for a few days maybe longer then begin to let them be together, most likely your duck will be the aggressor since the drake will be a newbie. But if done slowly over a period of days there will be alot less stress or injury. Very sorry for your loss I think after a while your duck will be a happy girl again, you also might want to bring another duck into the fold since drakes can breed a duck pretty roughly if there is only one for him. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes. I like to use a large dog crate for newbies, set it up inside their pen or yard and put food and water inside and let the original be able to see and meet the new boy. also you can use temp fencing inside the run to keep them separate till they get to know each other.

Back
Top Bottom